We are all on some sort of budget and when it comes to feeding our family, we need to find budget friendly family meals. Angela, from WriterMom’s Blog recently asked me to participate in her recent project. I am joining 14 other bloggers all posting budget friendly recipes and all linking up together. What a great way to get a few new budget friendly meals in our arsenal. I was recently at our Sam’s Club and saw a big bag of colored sweet peppers on sale. Growing up we had stuffed green peppers quite frequently but I had yet to make them for my own kids. Knowing they prefer colored sweet peppers over the Green I thought I would give it a shot.
While Green Peppers are typically cheaper than the orange and red peppers, buying them on sale or in bulk at warehouse clubs can be a big savings. I think I paid about 7 dollars for 6 peppers. I also purchased some ground turkey there which is always a savings compared to the grocery store non-sale price. SO far this fits the budget friendly recipes. Check out this other great Sweet Pepper Stir Fry recipe.
Since I cook more with ground turkey than ground meat this recipe is slightly lower in fat than the traditional stuffed peppers recipes. With only 10 simple ingredients, this is an easy weeknight meal that wont break your budget or waistline. I also added a few veggies that I had in my fridge, it is a great way to disguise veggies plus adds more bulk to the mixture so you can fill more peppers, another great budget friendly recipes tip.
I made the stuffed peppers during the day and just covered them until I was ready to cook them. (take them out to reach room temperature while the oven heats up) You can also make the rice the night before if you plan on assembling the entire dish that evening.
Since they do take over an hour to bake, you must plan ahead.
See you can not even tell I added extra veggies into this.
Ready for the oven, now I can go get something else done while this bakes for an hour.
Check out the other great Make Ahead recipes we have made.
Low-fat Stuffed Peppers Recipe
- Stuffed Peppers Recipe adapted from Shauna Evans book: Skinny-licious
- 1 lb Lean ground beef or turkey
- 1-2 tsps crushed garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp dried basil leaves
- 1 Tbsp. Canola Oil
- 1/3 minced onion
- 1 cup zucchini chopped (optional)
- 1/2 cup mushrooms chopped (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups cooked white or brown rice
- 1 8 oz cans of tomato sauce, divided (we used low sodium)
- 4-5 red, yellow or orange bell peppers
- parsley for garnish
- Brown your ground meat in skillet. Add garlic, salt, pepper and basil
- In a small saute' pan, heat oil and onions until onions are soft
- In medium bowl, combine meat, onions and rice
- Pour 1 1/2 cups tomato sauce over mixture, reserving 1/2 cup to cover the stuffed peppers. For a make ahead meal, cover and refrigerate this mixture until later in the day
- Cut one inch off tops of bell peppers and remove seeds. (if peppers are wobbly, cut a little slice off the bottoms so they stand up)
- Spoon meat and rice mixture into each pepper. Top each pepper with reserve tomato sauce
- Place in a deep baking dish. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 60 mins, covered with aluminum foil or I like to use pan lining paper so parchment is touching food. Remove foil and bake for 5 more mins. Allow to sit 5-10 mins before serving.
What is your favorite Budget Friendly Recipes? Check out the other great budget friendly recipes from the other 14 bloggers.
1. WriterMom’s Blog – Creamy Chicken & Mashed Potato Casserole
2. Mommifried – Easy Beef Stroganoff
3. City Girl on Hicks Farm – Honey Garlic Pork Chops
4. One Tipsy Chick – Turkey Tostada with Avocado Cream
5. Baking in a Tornado – Individual Taco Pies
6. Foreclosure to Frugal – Deli Sandwich Roll up
7. PinkWhen – Baked Pork Chops
8. Joyful Scribblings – Breakfast Pizza
9. Adventures of a Jayhawk Mommy – Sweet & Sour Pork Chops and Outback Baked Potatoes
10. Working on Working Mom – Homemade Vegetable Stock
11. Foody Schmoody – Crock Pot Chicken Caesar Wraps
12. (a)Musing Foodie – Baked Ziti
13. Stop Lookin’ Get Cookin’ – Marinated Grilled Chicken
14. A Peek Inside My Paradise – Weight Watchers Supreme Breakfast Biscuits
15. Close to Home – Stuffed Peppers