While waiting in the orthodontist office a few years ago, I was browsing the Food Network Magazine. There was the most delectable picture of a chocolate covered chocolate chip banana bread. Although I have seen people do it before I could not pull out the page of the magazine. Luckily when I was ready to make the recipe, I was able to find it on line and test the chocolate covered banana bread on my kids.
OF course I had to tweak it just a little bit to make it a little healthier. If you are going to smoother something in chocolate reduce calories a fat by adding some whole wheat flour and apple sauce. Adding peanut powder to a recipe makes these amazing High Protein Peanut Butter Banana Muffins too.
If you plan on doubling the recipe, do not glaze the loaf you plan on freezing. I actually just served the second loaf that I have froze and it was tasty and moist even without the glaze. This low fat banana bread is great on its own.
Don’t waste those half eaten bananas, cut them up and save for a tasty treat when have the urge and try the Chocolate Glazed Banana Bread Recipe or any of these tried and true Banana Bread Recipes created at Close to Home.
The kids and I gobbled up the loaf and wish I had doubled it for another day. However, this banana bread is simple to make and the chocolate glaze takes it to a new level.
Chocolate Covered Banana Bread Recipe
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 2/3 cups mashed ripe banana (about 3 bananas)
- 1/4 cup fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream or Greek Yogurt
- 2 large egg
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Cooking spray
- 2 1/2 tablespoons Coconut Creamer or almond milk
- 2 ounces semisweet or dark chocolate chips
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°.
- 2. Combine sugar and oil in a bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended. Add banana, milk, sour cream/Greek Yogurt , and egg
- Weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking soda, and salt, stirring with a whisk. Add flour mixture to banana mixture; beat just until blended (do not overbeat). Spoon batter into a 9 x 5-inch metal loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan 10 minutes on a wire rack; remove from pan. Cool on rack.
- 4. Place coconut creamer and chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at HIGH for 1 minute or until chocolate melts, stirring every 20 seconds. Cool slightly; spread over bread and allow to set before slicing.