During our last apple picking adventure, we were slightly disappointed with the selection, they only had a few Gold Ginger apples and Gala apples. Neither one are known for their baking properties and I was determined to bake something. I ran across a Cinnamon Apple Cake From Cooking Light and knew I wanted to try this for an amazing breakfast cake. I made this apple cake recipe the night before but just don’t make it too late because you are going to want to cover it and not while it is too warm.
This is a simple recipe that any beginner baker could conquer but the presentation and flavor say something much different.
The hardest part of this recipe is peeling the apples… Really just the most time-consuming not hard:)
Creaming the ingredients is easy if you make sure all your ingredients are at room temperature. A quick way to get your butter and cream cheese to room temperature in a hurry is to put them in the microwave for a few seconds. Watch the butter closely as it does not take long to melt!.
Be sure you have a 9 inch SPRING FORM Pan, it makes this apple cake come out so easily. I also used Turbindo sugar for the topping to make it glisten a little more. You can see the bumps or apples loaded in this batter.
Told you this recipe looks like a professional baker made it and it is sooo moist and delicious you will not be able to have just one piece. No biggy right it did come from Cooking Light magazine.
We even enjoyed it the second morning a little cool from the fridge, but it was gone after that. If you are cooking for a small family, cut a few pieces and freeze them for a quick coffee or tea snack. I read in the reviews someone made these into muffins too….bake for 25 mins.
- 3/4 cups white sugar, plus 1/4 cup
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- -1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- -1 tsp vanilla extract
- -6 ounces block-style fat-free cream cheese (I used 1/3 less fat)
- -2 large eggs
- -1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour ( I used 1/2 whole wheat flour)
- -1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- -1/4 tsp salt
- -2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 cups chopped peeled apples (about 2 large)
- 2 tbsp turbinado sugar
- 1. Preheat oven to 350F.
- 2. In a large mixing bowl, beat 1 1/2 cups sugar, butter, vanilla, and cream cheese until well-blended. Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition.
- 3. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Add flour mixture to creamed mixture, beating at low speed until blended.
- 4. In a small bowl, combine 1/4 cup sugar and cinnamon. Mix 2 tbsp of cinnamon sugar mixture in a large bowl with chopped apples, stirring to coat. Pour apple mixture into cake batter and stir to combine.
- 5. Pour batter into a 9-inch springform pan coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with remaining cinnamon mixture. Spinkle with turbinado sugar if desired.
- 6. Bake at 350F for 1 hour 10 minutes (check after 50 mins mine was done) or until the cake pulls away from the sides of the pan. Cool cake completely on a wire rack before removing and cutting into slices.