Our family loves Greek food and make a large Greek Salad for dinner with grilled chicken. It’s easy and I usually try to have all the ingredients to have on hand. I recently offered to bring a family a meal while their father was recovering from surgery. In the notes they suggested a restaurant they enjoy ready made meals and it was a Greek influenced restaurant. They also liked pasta dishes. I decided I would mix one of my favorite meals, Greek Salad and pasta and make this yummy Greek Pasta Salad Recipe. It is filled with all the flavors of a yummy greek salad with the pasta as a bonus. My family has decided this is a keeper and my new go to for pot luck dinner and BBQ’s.
I made a double batch of this Greek Pasta Salad Recipe since it was going to be dinner for our family too. I chose a mixed veggie pasta for our family but just a regular penne for the family I was making dinner for. You can use gluten free high fiber or whatever pasta your family will eat. This pasta salad is so full of flavor and yummy veggies that there is a lot to love about it.
Prep all your ingredients while your pasta water heats up and you will be ready to put this together in minutes. I do suggest making this a few hours before you plan on serving it, up to a day or two, so all the yummy flavors can combine.
The magic is in the Greek Dressing too. If you plan on adding grilled chicken to your Greek Pasta Salad, then make a little extra dressing and marinate your chicken in the yummy flavors.
Once your pasta is cooked, you will have to rinse the pasta to cool it off and stop the cooking. The worse is to have an overcooked pasta salad.
Mix all the ingredients and then cover it with some plastic wrap and let the flavors meld perfectly. If you think about it you can toss it a few times to be sure all the dressing is spread around all the pasta and veggies.
I added the grilled chicken on the side b/c my husband does not care for pasta with chicken but because I marinated the chicken for a while it had plenty of flavor.
Greek Pasta Salad Recipe
- 2 cups dried penne pasta
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 10 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 small red onion, chopped Rinse in cold water to reduce spiciness
- 2 bell peppers, chopped
- Any color Green, Orange, Red, & Yellow
- 1 cucumber, sliced
- 1/2 cup pitted olives, kalmata or black olives sliced
- 1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- Fill a large pot with lightly salted water and bring to a rolling boil over high heat. Once the water is boiling, stir in the penne, and return to a boil. Cook the pasta uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the pasta has cooked through, but is still firm to the bite, about 11 minutes. Rinse with cold water and drain well in a colander set in the sink.
- Whisk together the vinegar, lemon juice, garlic, oregano, salt, pepper, and olive oil. Set aside. Combine pasta, tomatoes, onion, green and red peppers, cucumber, olives, and feta cheese in a large bowl. Pour vinaigrette over the pasta and mix together. Cover and chill for 3 hours before serving.
- Marinate chicken in additional dressing and grill and add to pasta.
I hope you will love this Greek Pasta Salad as much as we did. What would you add to the pasta salad?
Other Salad Posts you might like: