The holidays can be super hectic and when it comes to Thanksgiving Dinner there are so many different requests for side dishes. For our family, we seem to enjoy the Thanksgiving side dishes more than the turkey. But not all Thanksgiving side dishes need to wait until Thanksgiving either. We combined two of our family favorites into one great side dish. On top of our Green Been Casserole we added a layer of Yummy Mashed Potatoes. Not only does this recipe save room on the table, the kids just gobbled it up. Green Bean Casserole with Mashed Potato Topping Recipe is waiting to be a showcase plate on your dinner table.
At our house at Thanksgiving we have two requests, sweet and mashed potatoes. With this recipe you get Two Thanksgiving Side Dishes in One and won’t mind making two types of potatoes. The short cut for this recipe is the use of Idaho Spuds. They have five downright delicious flavors that are very flexible for your Thanksgiving side dish recipes.
We don’t always have time to make all our recipes from scratch. So having a little short cut for a busy time like Thanksgiving, really comes in handy.
Simply mix your Idaho Spuds with water and watch it puff into that fluffy white stuff everyone loves, especially over the holidays.
Meanwhile, prepare your green bean casserole by heating up frozen green beans and adding the condensed soup mixture.
Stir in the all time favorite, fried crispy onions.
Bake according to the recipe then add a layer of your Idaho Spuds to the top of the green beans.
Top your mashed potatoes with more crispy onions and cook until warm.
Green Bean Casserole with Mashed Potato Topping
What a delicious Thanksgiving Side dish that will be a family favorite. My kids gobbled it up. We did not wait until Thanksgiving either, it was a great side dish for grilled pork tenderloin.
No matter what the occasion, be sure to include this Idaho Spud Mashed Potato topped Green Bean Casserole Recipe for your next dinner.
Who wants a bite of this great Thanksgiving Side Dish Combination?
Now you can win Home for the Holidays’ contest in time for the holidays. Enter for a chance to Win a luxury getaway to Shore Lodge on beautiful Payette Lake in McCall, Idaho Go to your home for holidays, then come to ours to recover. Who wants to join me?
Green Bean Casserole with Mashed Potato Topping:
- 1 (4 ounce) package Idaho Spuds Creamy Ranch Flavored Mashed Potatoes, prepared per directions
- 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 (15 ounce) bags frozen green beans, cooked per directions on bag
- 1 1/3 cups French Fried Onions, divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix soup and milk, then add pepper and cooked green beans.
- Stir in 2/3 cup French fried onions. Pour into a 1 1/2 quart casserole.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until hot.
- Remove from oven and stir casserole. Top with prepared Idaho Spud mashed potatoes.
- Adjust oven to broil. Toast potatoes under broiler until lightly brown, about 2 minutes.
- Top with remaining French fried onions and serve.