Thanks to Mazola for sponsoring this healthy summer grilling recipes post.
When a family vacation involves a rental home, trying to eat healthy is still a priority. Although easy recipes are also a priority as I am usually the one cooking and I did use the word “vacation”. We do a lot of grilling on vacations so my husband can take over some of the responsibilities. However, cooking involves spices and it is hard to know what spices they might have available and how old they might be. This summer, healthy grilling is easier than ever, especially with Mazola Corn Oil and the cholesterol-blocking power of plant sterols.
For our first dinner to the beach this year I knew I wanted to bring something that would transport easily. After unpacking the car, getting or supplies organized and hitting the grocery store for staples, when dinner time rolled around I wanted something quick and easy. I marinated a skirt steak and froze it. I then let it defrost in the cooler during the road trip.
I still needed a side and was recently introduced to teh White Wine Herb Vegetable Skewers recipe listed below. I adapted this recipe slightly because my honey did not pack the less expensive white wine and I am not about to waste super good wine in a recipe. It was good just per the package directions. The whole family ate up the veggies, even the homegrown eggplant. Perfect healthy and quick dinner with minimum effort.
Here are just a few more delicious recipes and tips provided by the folks at Mazola to get ready for a season full of heart-healthy and delicious grilling!
· Marinate made right: Marinating meat helps to reduce carcinogens and lock in moisture so meat won’t dry out or toughen up. Go homemade and make your own marinades. Combine Mazola Corn Oil and Weber Seasonings Marinade Mixes for fresh flavors.
· Perfect pairings: Enhance grilled meats with the perfect summer side dishes. Keep the kitchen clean and grill up your sides. White Wine Herb Vegetable Skewers are an easy side dish to add to any grill.
· Desserts on the grill: Surprise diners with the unexpected. This Grilled Banana Split packs all the sweetness of summer into one bowl.
- 1 package Weber® White Wine & Herb Marinade Mix
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup white wine(optional to follow directions on packet and just use water)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Corn Oil
- 2 small zucchini, cut into chunks
- 2 small summer squash, cut into chunks
- 1 small eggplant, halved lengthwise and cut into bite-size chunks
- 1 red and 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and quartered Or whatever colors you want
- 1 red onion, quartered, separated (use outer sections only)
- Preheat grill to medium hot or 400°F.
- Combine marinade mix, water, wine, lemon juice and oil in a resealable plastic bag; mix well. Add vegetables to bag with marinade turning to coat. Seal bag and set aside to marinate for 10 to 15 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Coat grill surface with grill spray to prevent sticking. Remove vegetables from marinade; discard marinade. Alternate vegetables on skewers. Cook over Direct Medium-high heat for 4 to 6 minutes per side or until browned grill marks appear. Transfer cooked vegetables to a serving plate and serve immediately
More heart-healthy Mazola grilling recipe favorites can be found here http://www.mazola.com/summer-grilling.aspx. For a super easy kebab recipe I like to make italian kebabs using turkey sausage, peppers, mushrooms (optional,) Zuchinni (optional) and onions. Super easy!
You can find more easy make ahead dishes for rental house vacation on this post I wrote last year.