I was inspired to make this New Years Eve Clock cake from clock cookies and a pinata cake I saw on Pinterest. We had a last-minute decision to allow the kids to have one friend over on New Years Eve so I had to make something special for dessert.
The kids were given the choice of what they wanted for dessert. Of course Caitlin was going to make it all, but was so involved in a book she was reading she sort of ditched me. They chose a Hershey’s Perfectly Chocolate Cake Recipe, which is very similar to this chocolate cake recipe I have made.
While I have made a chocolate cake before I wanted to make it special for New Years Eve Dessert, so I took the idea from these Clock cookies and pinata cakes I have seen on Pinterest and combined them into one.
Don’t worry, it is very watery after you add the cup of boiling water.
After allowing my cakes to cool, I cut a little hole in the middle of the bottom layer. It is really just for effect of cutting into the cake and confetti coming out.
I frosted around the whole full of M& M’s and then frosted the rest of the cake. I wish I had more frosting, this chocolate frosting recipe was super simple to make but did not seem to make enough for a thick layer of frosting.
Now for decor. Since it was a chocolate frosted cake, I was a little limited to decorations so I chose to use Large M& M’s and some white cookie frosting.
Here is the final clock cake. Not so bad for an improv dessert.
Here is the Cake once it was cut.
- 2 cups Sugar
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs room temp
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
- . Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans. 2. Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Pour batter into prepared pans. 3. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely. Frost with "PERFECTLY CHOCOLATE" CHOCOLATE FROSTING. 10 to 12 servings.
- "PERFECTLY CHOCOLATE" CHOCOLATE FROSTING
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine
- 2/3 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Melt butter. Stir in cocoa. Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating to spreading consistency. Add small amount additional milk, if needed. Stir in vanilla. About 2 cups frosting.