This No Effort Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup Recipe Post was updated 1/16/17 with new photos and slow cooker directions.
This January I have been going thru some old posts, and taking new photos since my technology has gotten so much better. One of my kids favorite soup recipes is Split Pea Soup. This is my Grandmother’s Recipe and I adapted it to make it a no effort soup recipe by making it in the crock pot. There is nothing better than setting up your slow cooker in the morning and coming home to a delicious and nutritious one pot meal. We hope you enjoy her recipe as much as we have over the years.
No Effort Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup Recipe
Now that the weather has finally turned fall like and the rain has seemed to find joy in falling in the Southeast, my soup pot has come out once again.
Simply plop all your fresh veggies and ham hock or large piece of ham into a crock pot and fill with water. Best part, you can now just forget about dinner and move on to your other chores.
Seven years ago, we made this recipe with yellow split peas and blended it into this creamy looking “pumpkin Soup”. Instead of croutons, the kids used cheez-its to make faces in their bowls. A fun thing to do for any meal they are not thrilled about. A great way to make a kid friendly soup dinner.
The joy of this recipe is that split peas are quick cooking and the recipe can be done on the stove top or better yet the crock pot. Enjoy my grandmother’s recipe but I have often just made the recipe on the split pea package too.
If you are going to blend the ingredients, make sure you take out the ham and then add it back once you’ve reached the desired soup consistency.
Slow Cooker SPLIT PEA SOUP RECIPE
- Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup Recipe2017-01-16 10:42:37A no effort soup recipe that can be made quickly on the stove top or over several hours in a crock pot.Write a reviewIngredients
- 1 lb of Split Peas
- Ham bone (optional)
- 1 Onion chopped
- 3-4 Cloves of Garlic chopped
- 4 Stalks of celery-chopped
- 4 Carrots, chopped
- ½ cup Rice (uncooked)
- 5 cups Water (maybe some chicken bouillon added for flavor)
- Salt, pepper, Parsley to taste
- Sort through split peas for any pebbles, etc. Wash or rinse in water thoroughly.
- Place in soup kettle with ham bone if using, and enough water to cover. Bring to a boil. Simmer for 1 hr or so and then remove the bone.
- Add carrots, celery, and seasonings and continue cooking for 15 minutes.
- If using a Slow Cooker: Place all ingredients in the Crock pot insert, cook on low for 5 hours.
- Add rice and cook another 15 minutes.
- If soup is too thick, add more water or chicken broth.
Close To Home http://stayingclosetohome.com/
- (This can also be done in the crock pot just add all ingredients except rice and cook on low for 6 hrs. Eliminate rice, and just use an immersion blender to make smooth and hide veggies from the kids!)
What is your go to Cold weather slow cooker Soup recipe? Would your kids eat Split Pea Soup?