Nothing says summer harvest more than the french dish Ratatouille. I am amazed that most of the ingredients came from my own garden. Although this did not entice my kids very much to eat more than one bite!!! I also used the whole Disney movie reference but no more luck.
However, this was my go-to meal for my book club dinner as we have a wheat and egg allergy as well as a vegetarian. (We have since moved to wine and cheese!) You can even include a milk allergy candidate by skipping the cheese topping!!
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 4 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 large eggplant, unpeeled, diced
- 2 green bell peppers, diced
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 onion, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 large zucchini, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil or 1 tbs dried
- 2 tbs red wine vinegar
- 4 ounces soft fresh goat cheese
- Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium heat. Add garlic, stir 1 minute. Add eggplant, green bell peppers, tomatoes, onion, zucchini and basil. Saute 5 minutes. Cover and simmer until all vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally about 25 minutes. Uncover opt and simmer until juices thicken, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. Mix in vinegar, season to taste with salt and pepper. (add enough this is a lot of veggies)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spread ratatouille in 9 inch pie dish. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake until heated, about 20 minutes.
- Serve over baked Potatoes.