Who can resist those mint Oreos on the shelves this time of year, especially when the end result is these Ultimate Mint Oreo Brownies? I know that lent is upon us but I am sure you can indulge a little on St. Patrick’s Day, especially if you are Irish. These brownies were so thick and rich, my kids could not eat a whole one. To be honest, I usually use a Box brownie mix when I create variations of brownie desserts, but I saw this recipe and could not resist trying it from scratch. There are no surprise ingredients, just unsweetened chocolate, so just be sure you have a box of that around.
Making a homemade Brownie recipe is really quite simple. To make these Mint Oreo Brownies, start by chopping up the chocolate fairly small and I would recommend either starting with room temperature butter or cutting it into pieces to quicken up the melting process.
A quick way to sift your dry ingredients, put your flour and other ingredients into a sieve over your bowl and just shake….
Now to whip your eggs and sugar to the right consistency. I love my Kitchen Aid for this. You can just sit back and let the magic happen.
Now unlike me the first time, don’t forget to add your flour, oops but it was all good in the end. Add your cooled chocolate, I added a small amount first to allow it to adjust to the egg temperature.
Stop the mixer and stir in half of your Chopped mint Oreos.
Spread into a 9×9 square pan either lined with tin foil that is sprayed or I used pan lining paper which makes cutting your Mint Oreo Brownies a breeze, not to mention the cleanup. Top with the remainder of your chopped Mint Oreos.
Be sure to check on your mint Oreo brownies, there is nothing worse than a dry brownie. Milk is definitely required here too.
Of course, we loved the mint Oreo brownies for St. Patrick’s Day but you can use any flavor your prefer.
St Patrick’s Day Dessert Idea- Ultimate Mint Oreo Brownies
- 3/4 cups unsalted butter, room temp (1 1/2 sticks)
- 6 oz unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups white sugar
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 2 cups of sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup oreo cookies, coarsely chopped and divided
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9x9 baking pan with tin foil and spray with non-stick baking spray or use pan-lining paper
- In a large saucepan over medium high heat, melt the butter and chocolate, about 5 minutes, set aside to cool
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
- In large mixing bowl beat the eggs and sugar about 5 minutes until lemon colored and fluffy
- Add chocolate slowly and then flour mixture until only combined.
- Add half of the crushed oreo cookies and stir until just combined.
- Scoop the batter into the prepared baking pan. Sprinkle the remaining oreo cookies on top.
- Place the pan into the oven and bake for about 25-30 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and let the cookie and cream brownies cool for at least 2 hours.
- Remove the brownies from the pan by lifting the tin foil out. Place the brownies on the counter, cut into 12 squares and serve.