Baking from scratch is the perfect way to tell someone that you care about them. Whether is is over the holiday season or just because. Since Valentine’s Day is quickly approaching I thought I would share yet another yummy Valentine’s Day Recipe that anyone who likes the idea of cookies and creme will be excited about. One of my youngest son’s favorite candy bar is Cookies & Creme. When I saw these adorable cookies & creme, chocolate hearts I could not resist coming up with a fun Valentine’s Day cookie idea. Even if you don’t celebrate Valentine’s Day I share a way to make a cookie frosting with the chocolates. These cookies were so delicious I am thinking I might try and make my own OREO’s one of these days. I found the cookie and creme chocolates at our dollar store but have not looked anywhere else. Be suer to check out the Peanut Butter Kiss Cookies we made using another candy found at the Dollar store.
The trick to make these rich chocolate is to use, a dark chocolate cocoa instead of the traditional. I am sure if you only had the regular these would turn out great, just lighter in color.
I used a small ice cream scoop which allows you to have identical sized cookies. Plus you don’t get your hands as dirty.
I experimented rolling one batch and just dropping the dough for the second half.. I think I like the thickness of the rolled cookies but play with yourself.
Allow the cookies to sit for about 30 seconds before placing your chocolate. And DO NOT TOUCH the cookies. This is how I came up with the cookies and creme cookie glaze.
To make the glazed cookie, simply add the chocolates about 1 minute before the cookies are done or add the cookies immediately when they come of the oven and press down In a few minutes the chocolate will melt and you can spread it onto of the cookie with a knife. (we added a heart sprinkle for fun)
Allow the cookies to cool completely and the chocolate to set before serving, although I know it’s hard.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup Special Dark Cocoa
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 package of cookies & creme candy hearts or bars
- Beat the butter and sugars. Add eggs, and vanilla. Blend well. Scrape bowl if needed.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients until incorporated.
- Using a small ice cream scoop, scoop the cookie dough balls onto a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 9 to 10 minutes. Allow cookies to rest for 30 seconds and then place a cookies and creme heart on top. Allow to cool on the baking sheet for 3 to 5 minutes before moving them to a cooling rack.
- If you want the glaze look, add chocolate for the last minute of baking and then spread with a knife.
Thought you might be interested in these other Valentine’s Day Recipes and Crafts Posts.