Don’t you love when you go through the effort of baking something and knowing you can serve it more than one way. Maybe you are having a small group over for Easter brunch /dinner and don’t want extra dessert laying around. Better yet you are looking for a dessert recipe to enjoy now and then again later at another date, Either way, this is the recipe for you! Best thing is that the Lemon Pound Cake recipe starts from a box mix.
So this is the end result of baking this pound cake in 2 loaf pans. If you choose to freeze one, I would not glaze it if you plan on making the grilled version below. From my experience the glaze burned and made for a less than appealing look!
SECOND OPTION: Grilled pound cake with warmed berry sauce. Yummy and a totally different presentation and taste. This is how it is done.
By mixing berries into a foil packet, this is obviously the after grilled picture. you create a great twist on the traditional berry compote recipe. You can probably make this with frozen fruit as well. I might add a little more cornstarch to make the sauce thicken up. This is how we made it…
Who said hobo packs are only for savory dishes. Simply grill your fruit foil packets and pound cake for a fun and flavorful dessert. Don’t walk away from the grill or you might have burnt pound cake!!
Lemon Pound cake recipe adapted from Duncan Hines
- 1 pkg Duncan Hines® Moist Deluxe® Lemon Supreme Cake Mix or any lemon cake mix
- 1 (3.4 oz) pkg instant lemon pudding and pie filling I had vanilla so I added a tsp of Lemon extract
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 c. powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 tbsp milk
Baking Instructions for 2 cakes
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour 2 loaf pans
- Combine cake mix, pudding mix, extract if using, eggs, water and oil in large bowl. Beat at medium speed with electric mixer for 2 minutes. Pour into pans.
- Bake at 350°F for 45 to 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 25 minutes. Invert onto heat resistant serving plate. Cool completely.
- Freeze one or both cakes by wrapping in foil and then placing it in a freezer bag.
- 2 c. powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 tbsp. melted butter-Optional
- 3 tbsp. milk
- 1/2 pound strawberries, halved or quartered if large (choose berries you love that are in season)
- 1/2 pound blueberries Can be frozen
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- Four 12-inch squares of heavy-duty aluminum foil-Optional I used on large piece
- Four 1/2-inch-thick slices of lemon pound cake _unglazed is better
- Serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream,
- Light a grill. In a medium bowl, combine the strawberries and blueberries with the lemon zest, lemon juice, sugar and cornstarch. Spoon 1/4 tablespoon of the butter in the center of each sheet of foil and top with the fruit. Bring 2 sides of the foil up over the fruit and fold to form a seam across the top. Fold the remaining 2 sides to seal the hobo packs completely.
- Grill the packs over moderate heat until the fruit is sizzling, about 10 minutes.
- Place cut slices of pound cake on a piece of foil and place on the grill. Turn over after 2 minutes or until grill marks appear. Transfer to plates.
- Open the fruit pack and pour the berries and juices over the pound cake.
- Serve immediately
What is your favorite Spring time dessert??