The winter months are perfect for this Warming and Comforting Cheddar Corn Chowder Recipe that can be thrown together with very little prep. When I mean little prep I mean opening up some frozen vegetable bags but the result is an amazing comforting soup recipe that the whole family will love. Of course this is a Barefoot Contessa Recipe that I adapted slightly to create a more hearty one bowl meal for a busy weeknight dinner. With the addition of some Cooked chicken, I guess we should rename it Chicken and Cheddar Corn Chowder Recipe.
We are all busy and taking short cuts to get a hearty meal on the table can be essential. When I was looking for frozen corn, I found frozen chopped up Onion. I have never used it before but because the recipe called for 3 cups of onion this sounded very appealing, plus it was only 1.25 for the bag-well worth my time and tears! Great tip even to do at home if you are in the mood to chop up a lot of onions and freeze them for future stews and sauces.
Cheddar Corn Chowder Recipe
This recipe as it yields 5-6 servings and can be easily doubled. My kids love bacon so I made one half of a pound which they gobbled up before the soup was even made. Despite me hiding it in the microwave. The original recipe included half and half but I think the consistency of this chowder recipe was just right before I would have added the half and half. I saved fat and calories by not using it and it was not missed.
The result was a creamy and filling chowder that was a hit and my 13 year old asked for it for his next birthday dinner. Since I added the chicken to the corn chowder recipe, it was a complete meal.
For a simple side, I purchased the pre made frozen rolls and simply spread a little butter and dusted them with Parmesan cheese before baking. Thanks Ina for another great recipe that I will do again for both my family or casual get together.
Cheddar Corn Chowder Recipe
- 8 ounces bacon, chopped
- 3 tablespoons cup good olive oil
- 3 cups chopped yellow onions or 1 bag frozen chopped onions
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 3 cups medium-diced white boiling potatoes, unpeeled (1 pound)
- 1 1/2 lbs frozen corn kernels
- 1 cooked Boneless Chicken Breast, shredded (Optional)
- 1/4 pound sharp white cheddar cheese, grated
- a large stockpot over medium-high heat, cook the bacon and olive oil until the bacon is crisp, about 5 minutes. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon and reserve. Reduce the heat to medium, add the onions to the fat, and cook for 10 minutes, until the onions are translucent.
- Stir in the flour, salt, pepper, and turmeric and cook for 3 minutes. Add the chicken stock and potatoes, bring to a boil, and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes, until the potatoes are tender. Add the corn and shredded chicken to the soup heat thoroughly about 5 minutes. If serving immediately add the cheddar. Cook until the cheese is melted. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper. Serve hot with a garnish of bacon.
Nutrition InformationYield 6
Amount Per Serving Calories 506Saturated Fat 7gCholesterol 36mgSodium 1318mgCarbohydrates 46gFiber 4gSugar 11gProtein 20g
Would your kids like this Cheddar Corn Chowder recipe?
Grab some great deals on Barefoot Contessa Books Here! (Ad)