I eyed this recipe last year in my Southern Living Magazine so when I had some extra Strawberries from our day out picking, I knew I wanted to find recipes for easy desserts that you can make ahead for entertaining.
Feeling like I have been a little excessive in my dessert making, I decided to lighten it up slightly to rid some of the guilt, LOL. I have nothing to compare my version to, but we truly enjoyed the results of my adaptations to this lightened up easy dessert.
Strawberry Ice Box Pie Lightened UP
My husband loves pretzels and since this has a pretzel crust, another first for me, I knew I finally had to give it a try.
If you are going to make this recipe, definitely give yourself a full day to make it before you plan on serving this easy dessert. Although it really is simple to make, it needs time to freeze properly! Feel free and make the original version I just thought I would share our dessert recipe.
Making Pie crusts in the food processor as super simple. Proceed with this crust as you would a graham cracker crumb crust. Love the idea of the salty bottom!
Looks good already don’t you think!
HOW TO MAKE STRAWBERRY FILLING ICE BOX PIE
Now for the filling. No worries if your strawberries are not looking great, as long as they still taste good they are mashed up for this recipe.
Also fold the whipped cream in gently so you don’t lose any volume.
Into the Pie crust and then the freezer for several hours.
Now for the whipped topping top. The recipe suggests covering it but I waited for about an hour in the freezer than covered it with plastic wrap. Way to wet to do it then in my opinion.
The final product::
Want a slice?
How about chocolate covered strawberry dessert? You saved calories and fat with the adaptations how about a little chocolate sauce?
How would you like this pie, with our without the Chocolate?
- FOR CRUST
- 2 cups finely crushed pretzel sticks
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1 14-oz. can sweetened condensed milk Fat Free
- 1/2 8-oz. package cream cheese, softened--1/3 less fat
- 4 tablespoons plus 1 tsp. strawberry gelatin, 1/2 [3-oz.] package
- 2 cups whipping cream, divided
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- Chocolate Sauce--Optional, sugar free if you want
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Stir together first 3 ingredients; firmly press on bottom, up sides, and onto lip of a lightly greased 10-inch pie plate. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from oven to a wire rack, and cool completely (about 30 minutes).
- 2. Process strawberries in a food processor until finely chopped, stopping to scrape down sides as needed.
- 3. Beat condensed milk and next 2 ingredients at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth. (Use the whisk attachment if using a stand mixer.) Add strawberries; beat at low speed just until blended. Transfer to a large bowl.
- 4. Beat 3/4 cup whipping cream at high speed until soft peaks form; gently fold whipped cream into strawberry mixture. Spoon into prepared crust. Cover and freeze 8 to 12 hours or until firm.
- 5. Beat remaining 1 1/4 cups whipping cream at high speed until foamy; graduall
Adapted from Southern Living
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 703Total Fat 44gSaturated Fat 28gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 13gCholesterol 135mgSodium 399mgCarbohydrates 70gFiber 1gSugar 58gProtein 10g
All information and tools presented and written within this site are intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information on stayingclosetohome.com should only be used as a general guideline.