I am not sure about your home, but when it comes to mac and cheese in a hurry I have always stuck to the box!! The kids don’t mind and at times they have enjoyed that version more than when I have slaved on the stove making the cheese sauce, boiling the noodles and then patiently waited for it to bake.
My son noticed a picture of mac and cheese on my October Everyday Food Magazine and said he wanted to try it. I did not read the recipe through and just bought the ingredients, many of which I stock at home. (the best part is that you can chose low fat and whole wheat options if you want a more healthy version.)
I was a little skeptical as I have never used egg or evaporated milk in my recipes before.
To my surprise this is a super quick version of homemade mac and cheese you don’t even have to worry about burning your sauce or wait an hour for it to cook. A best yet, I made it in the morning and just let it cool and put it in the fridge. Before I was ready to bake it, I took it out while the oven preheated. ( you could also do the night before)
The recipe suggests putting in it a shallow pan, the kids did not love the crispy noodles so next time I will bake it in a deeper casserole dish and maybe just bake it a few more minutes.
Here is my version as I skipped the bacon and cayenne pepper.
Add a quick side of frozen edamame and you have a meal…
- coarse salt
- 1/2 lb elbow macaroni
- 3 slices of bacon, cut crosswise into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 3 large eggs
- 12 oz can of evaporated milk
- 6 oz or 1 1/2 cups grated Sharp Cheddar cheese (I used 1 bag mexican mix)
- 2 oz or 1/2 cup grated Monterey Jack cheese 1 oz or 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese-
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees & start a large pot of water boiling, salted very well.
- -Cook macaroni for 6 minutes so it is underdone and drain, then set aside.
- -Heat a small skillet and cook bacon until it is very crispy. Add garlic and cook for another 30 seconds.
- -Pour bacon mixture and macaroni into a medium bowl and stir well.
- -In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, evaporated milk, and seasonings. Stir in cheeses.
- -Add macaroni mixture and stir very well to combine.
- -Transfer to an 8 or 9 inch square pan or a 2 quart, spread evenly with a spoon.
- -Bake about 12 minutes until sauce is bubbling and browned in some areas. rest it 10 minutes before serving.