When the weather heats up, our pasta night takes a turn. No longer are we craving the traditional pasta with red sauce and meatballs, I prefer a veggie pasta and cold. Pasta salads fit that bill as well as can be made a few days ahead of time and keep well in the fridge. Pasta Salads are also great to take along on picnics, swim meets, you name it, portability is one of their strengths. We love greek salad so this idea of a Greek Pasta Salad came to mind.
I used high protein noodles for this recipe, hoping this would help give them energy for their swim meets. You can use any shape or type of pasta your family enjoys. Cook the pasta only to al dente, look at the package for cooking suggestions.
Cut up your veggies. We used yellow sweet pepper (any color will do), tomatoes, red onion & kalamata olives.
While your pasta cooks, make the dressing. Simple but tasty. Pour it over your warm pasta. You can also marinate your chicken tenders at this point.
Allow the pasta to cool a few minutes, this allows the dressing to absorb into the pasta.
Add your veggies and feta cheese and toss to mix.
Grill your chicken and serve it on the side, my family’s preference, or mix it into the pasta salad. Serve either at room temperature or refrigerate the pasta and cook the chicken right before serving.
This made a great dinner as well as lunch. We are big greek salad fans so this hit the spot.
Grilled chicken and Greek Pasta Salad is a great way picnic food
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon white sugar
- 2 1/2 cups cooked elbow macaroni
- 15 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup sliced bell peppers
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped red onions
- 4 ozs pitted kalamata olives, sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh oregano or 1 1/2 tsp dried
- n a large bowl, whisk together olive oil, vinegar, garlic powder, basil, oregano, black pepper, and sugar. Add cooked pasta, , tomatoes, red peppers, feta cheese, green onions, and olives. Toss until evenly coated. Cover, and chill 2 hours or overnight.
Amount Per Serving Calories 363Total Fat 27gSaturated Fat 6gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 20gCholesterol 17mgSodium 299mgCarbohydrates 24gFiber 3gSugar 4gProtein 7g
All information and tools presented and written within this site are intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information on stayingclosetohome.com should only be used as a general guideline.