Looking for a Healthy Pumpkin Bread Recipe that is flavorful? We have the one for you and it has a secret ingredient. Fall and pumpkins are synonymous this time of year. I was so thrilled to find a can of pumpkin in my cupboard just waiting to be opened this fall. I googled a few pumpkin bread recipes and found one on Cookinglight.com that was not only low in fat but had an ingredient I had never thought to use before, beer. Don’t worry about feeding this to your kids, the alcohol gets burned off in the oven.
Healthy Pumpkin Bread Recipe With A Secret Ingredient
Also I would recommend making at a time in the day that you can finish the rest of the beer as you don’t use a full bottle and who wants to waste a good beer. Other option is to make a double recipe which will yield 4 loaves, trust me you will thank me for making the double recipe.
Another reason I picked this pumpkin bread recipe was because it used ground flax seed and I had just bought some homemade chewy granola bars and did not know what to do with the rest. This healthy pumpkin recipe can be made even healthier by substituting half the flour for whole wheat flour. I reduced the sugar and used applesauce for half of the oil too. This turned out super moist.
I usually put chocolate chips in my pumpkin bread but I was trying to keep it healthy so simply added chopped pecans on top of each loaf before baking. Added protein of course.
I think they turned out very good-looking.
These pictures don’t do justice to this bread, it was so moist and delicious I could have eaten the whole thing.
Be sure to pin this recipe for Pumpkin Honey Beer Quick Bread next time you have a hankering for Pumpkin Bread.
What are you favorite pumpkin recipes??
Pumpkin Honey Beer Quick Bread Recipe
- 14.6 ounces all-purpose flour, about 3 1/4 cups
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup ground flaxseed
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2/3 cup honey beer or pumpkin beer, at room temperature
- 3 large eggs
- 1 15-ounce can pumpkin
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Lghtly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, salt, and next 4 ingredients (through pumpkin pie spice) in a medium bowl; stir with a whisk.
- Combine 1/2 cup water and flaxseed in a separate bowl and let sit.
- Place sugar and next 4 ingredients (through eggs) in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium-high speed until well blended. Add flaxseed mixture and pumpkin; beat at low speed just until blended.
- Add flour mixture; beat just until combined. Evenly divide batter between 2 (9 x 5–inch) loaf pans coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. (Check after 50 mins)
- Cool 10 minutes in pan on a wire rack and cool completely before serving.