We eat a lot of Grilled BBQ chicken at our house and honestly, I was looking to change things up a little at the house and had some frozen pizza dough. I was not sure how the family, especially the Hubs, would welcome a Grilled BBQ chicken Pizza.
This is a great recipe to use leftover chicken or even a rotisserie chicken. Make homemade pizza dough in no time with this pizza dough recipe.
Homemade Grilled or Baked BBQ Chicken Pizza
Since the weather was perfect that night I decided to try to not only grill the chicken but also the pizza. Let me tell you this was a big hit at the house. We have updated this post to include baking directions too.
First roll out your dough into one large pizza or smaller pizzas if everyone likes different toppings. If the kids are home it is fun for them to make their own pizzas. For a quick tutorial check out this post on how to grill pizza.
WHAT KIND OF CHICKEN CAN I USE IN A BBQ PIZZA
First grill your chicken or if you are lucky use left over chicken from earlier in the week. I seasoned the chicken with a Chicken Rub since I did not think to marinate the chicken earlier in the day. It was plenty of flavor for this Grilled Chicken Pizza.
SHOULD I BAKE MY PIZZA CRUST BEFORE ADDING TOPPINGS?
Once the pizza is slightly cooked, slather the BBQ sauce as you would a tomato pizza sauce. I am not sure if you are a cheese first or topping first type of home but I ended up making it both ways, cheese on top won on this recipe
. I used A mix of shredded cheddar and Mozzarella cheeses.
WHAT ARE SOME GOOD TOPPINGS FOR BBQ CHICKEN PIZZA?
For additional toppings this is up to you but some suggestions are:
- Red Onion -my favorite
- green onion
- Sweet pepper- I had yellow peppers on hand
- Pineapple- canned is fine
- canned tomatoes
- parsley or cilantro
Mix things up at your house and serve up a BBQ Chicken Pizza for dinner. Be sure to make some extra chicken for another meal like this grilled Chicken Salad.
What would you add to your Grilled BBQ Chicken Pizza?
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 1/2 pound prepared pizza dough, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup tablespoons dark barbecue sauce (or to taste)
- 1 8-ounce skinless, boneless chicken breast
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2/3 cup grated Cheddar cheese (about 3 ounces)
- 2/3 cup grated part-skim mozzarella cheese (about 3 ounces)
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- Fresh cilantro, for topping
- Position racks in the upper third and middle of the oven. Place a pizza stone or inverted baking sheet on the top rack and preheat the oven to 425 degrees F for at least 30 minutes.
- Spread dough onto cookie sheet and spread with the 1/3 cup barbecue sauce, leaving a 3/4-inch border. Top with the chicken, cheeses and red onion.
- Slide the pizza (on the parchment) onto a pizza peel or another inverted baking sheet, then slide onto the hot stone or baking sheet; bake until the cheese melts and the crust is golden, 20 to 25 minutes. Sprinkle with cilantro.
Nutrition InformationYield 5 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 315Total Fat 10gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 5gCholesterol 56mgSodium 659mgCarbohydrates 30gFiber 1gSugar 8gProtein 25g
All information and tools presented and written within this site are intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information on stayingclosetohome.com should only be used as a general guideline.