As a Godmother and Aunt, I am expected to show my godson the ways of the church and guide him spiritually. Well, I decided since my godson is headed to college in 3 years, I will start his guidance in the kitchen as well.
While selecting my items I was thinking of Brendan and his future college kitchen drawer. Also sharing his great grandma’s Italian lemon cake recipe.
Grandma’s Italian Lemon Cake Recipe
As the good aunt, I thought I would make sure these utensils worked properly for him and decided to try this Italian Lemon Cake Recipe passed down from his Great Grandmother. It is such a refreshing and no-bake lemon cake recipe for summer BBQs.
I loved using my egg separator for this recipe and found it super easy to use especially connected to the Measuring cups.
I love how perfect they were separated.
Lay out your ladyfingers in your pan, I used the chef’s knife to cut some to fit better in the pan.
Since you are using the cooked variety of pudding the silicone whisk came in handy.
Layer the lemon filling and ladyfingers in your pan.
I found this super easy to do with the silicone spatulas.
Before you are ready to serve, make the homemade whipped topping with some sugar and vanilla, measuring these out with the plastic Measuring spoons. Use your pancake turner to help get the slices out of the pan.
Italian Lemon Cake Recipe
What recipes do you hope to pass down to your kids?
Here are the 15 items I chose to start his College Drawer with.
- The Safe Cut Can opener
- Every kitchen needs a good Chef Knife
- Double-sided Flip Measuring cups- saves space in your drawer
- 3 piece Liquid measuring cups He will find many uses for these great cups
- Plastic Measuring Spoons. They are color coded to help pick the correct spoon.
- Stainless Steel Locking Tongs– no worries about scratching your pans with these
- Pairing Knife excellent for cutting small fruits and veggies
- Grater/ Fine Zester Great for getting citrus into a recipe
- Instant Read Thermometer Perfect for the college grilling days.
- Stainless Steel Peeler- nice soft handle is comfortable for big peeling jobs.
- Silicone Spatulas A must have in any kitchen, very versatile. Love the 2 sizes.
- Nylon Pancake Turner Perfect for serving cakes or just flipping eggs and pancakes.
- Silicone Whisk- Love that it has silicone so won’t scratch the pots and can sustain heat.
- Good wooden Spoons Every kitchen drawer needs some sturdy wooden spoons
- Stainless Steel Trigger Scoop Great for making muffins or just scooping ice cream.
I am so excited to see what items you pick for your ideal kitchen Drawer Sweepstakes. Be sure to visit goodcook.com and choose up to 15 items from selected Good Cook products to create their ideal kitchen drawer then enter to win everything they selected. Be sure to check out more of the daily giveaways from Good Cook Facebook too.
Italian Lemon Cake Recipe
Italian Lemon Cake Recipe
Italian Lemon Cake is my grandmother's recipe that is a light and creamy make ahead cool dessert.
- 2 packages hard lady fingers
- 2 packages Lemon Pie Filling, Jello's Pudding for pies that you cook, NOT INSTANT
- 5 cups of water
- 1/2 stick of butter
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- Whipping Cream, sugar and vanilla to taste
- Use a 9x13 pyrex Glass baking dish
- Spray Baking Dish with a little Pam.
- Start with the water and the add the egg yolks slightly beaten.
- Start Heating the water while adding the butter, pie filling and sugar on medium heat.
- Stir continuously until liquid begins to thicken, (right after it begins to boil.
- Remove from heat.
- Line baking dish with one layer of cooks and pour half of the leon filling over the cookies. Place another layer of cookies on top and pour remaining pie filling on top.
- (try hard not to displace the cookies.
- Allow to cool slightly then put in fridge at least 3 hours.
- When ready to serve prepare whipping cream. and cover top of cake.
Adapted from Flo DeNardi- great grandmother's friend.
Nutrition InformationYield 12 Slices Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 190Total Fat 8gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 81mgSodium 91mgCarbohydrates 28gFiber 0gSugar 23gProtein 2g
All information and tools presented and written within this site are intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information on stayingclosetohome.com should only be used as a general guideline.
Awesome gadgets and that lemon cake looks so good!!!
Oh yes, I am making this soon. So yummy.
Your Italian Lemon Cake looks fabulous! Thanks so much for sharing this awesome recipe with Full Plate Thursday. Hope you have a great week and come back soon!
I love the egg separator. You just made this recipe look so easy! Thank you for sharing the pics of the steps too. Makes a huge difference!
I love lemony desserts! We will definitely be trying this one out 🙂
Yum! I love lemon! I just made lemon bars yesterday! 🙂
The Lemon Cake looks delicious! I bet it is very refreshing!
Oh my goodness I am so going to get one of these egg separators for my husband for FAther’s Day. He loves to bake. This is awesome.
My daughter helped make it with my mom, so it is definitely doable.
Thanks for stopping by Virginia
Love to see your recipe too Maria
Now that would be a cake!
LOL – I thought the Lady Fingers were Hot Dogs at first! I thought how odd! LOL For some reason I’ll make a multi-course meal but hate making desserts and ask guests to bring them! 🙂
I simply must make this. It looks so good. And that egg separator? That is genius!
Looks like a great summer dessert! I love Good Cook products, I bought some for my daughter before she went off to college.
yum! The italian lemon cake looks delicious!
I love lemon! It’s so light and refreshing! We’ll definitely be trying this one this summer!
I am obsessed with lemon anything at the moment. I am so going to make this cake!
Yummy!! This recipe looks so incredibly simple! i’m going to try this out. Thank you for sharing. 🙂
That is a neat recipe. It looks easy and tasty.
I love anything lemon! I’m pinning this recipe so I can make it for my next summer picnic or outing!
I just started teaching my kids how to cook, it’s so fun! This lemon cake looks delicious! I love lemon cake!
That is very similar to the way my mom makes it, too! It’s such an awesome summer dessert!