Bringing a new puppy home is an exciting time for the whole family. Having everything ready and set up for the new fur baby is ideal or else you will be scrambling to find the time to get the stuff you need.
We have just welcomed our second puppy and found this New Puppy checklist of items so helpful when welcoming you new bundle of joy. With only 24 hours notice to bring our pup home we relied on our past experience of these items you want to make your new puppy experience a little less stressful.
This post contains affiliate links as well as free products provided to us by our brand partners.
New Puppy checklist Not sure if you all have been checking our Instagram or Facebook but our sweet Chloe died unexpectedly at 7 in January. Our hearts were broken and we were in shock. Agreeing to get a new puppy I had started researching reputable breeders with the intention to get a new puppy end of summer timeframe. Well as unexpectedly as Chloe left us, we ended up with Tippett on Feb 8th.
New Puppy Checklist ESSENTIALS
1. An appropriately sized crate. Dogs are den animals, and they love the comfort and security offered by a snug space of their own. You will want a steel crate, so the puppy won’t chew through a soft sided one.
Since we don’t want to buy multiple sized crates for our eventually 75 lb dog, you need to find a crate that will fit them full grown. Be sure to look for one that has a divider so you can expand the space as the pup grows. If the pup lives in a crate that is too big, they will use the extra room as a bathroom. Otherwise dogs do not like to use their “den” as potty area.
Don’t forget the crate mat. We love this Helix Durable Dog mat. You can wipe it off easily and it is not tempting to chew.
2. Wire playpen and Baby Gates. Dog pens with wire panels can be configured to any size or shape you might need. They can also be used to block doorways to rooms you’d like to keep off-limits. Baby gates are great to keep your pup in a small space like your kitchen as they being house broken. Puppies should not use the stairs to early either, so blocking off these areas can save your dogs hips.
4. Leash and collar. Don’t pick up your pup before buying a leash and collar. The last thing you want is your dog running off when you get out them out of the car. Allow your dog to wear their leash around the house to get acclimated to the feel.
3. Dog chew toys. Puppies will chew anything they can reach, from wood molding to your favorite shoes. Having plenty of dog toys around will get distract him from biting you as well as work those puppy teeth.
No two dogs like the same toys but some favorite chewing toys are Nylabones, Kong products, deer antlers and femur bones you can fill with peanut butter and freeze. Stuffed toys are adorable just be sure they don’t have any plastic eyes or noses. Stay away from your kids stuffed animal collection and consider something with rope filling instead of filling.
5. Bitter apple spray or Hot Sauce in a spray bottle . To keep your dog from destructive chewing, especially furniture, spray it or coat it with bitter apple, cayenne pepper, or a hot sauce like Tabasco. Bitter apple spray does not stain the furniture and you can not smell it but your dog does not.
6. Puppy food and bowls. Puppies need to eat and drink all day. In fact puppies need to eat three times a day. Avoid plastic bowls as this is just another chew toy for your dog. Purchase stainless steel dog bowls with non slip bottoms if possible.
7. An enzyme cleaner. Poop happens! If your puppy has accidents in the house, which they will at first. be sure to clean up their accident immediately. Use a pet specific spray that contains enzymes to eliminate odors dogs can smell reducing the chance they will reuse that area.
We have used Natures Miracle for years.
EXTRA Puppy Supplies to Have Eventually
1. Grooming Tools:
Grooming your dog not only keeps them looking good, but it also builds a bond. Be sure to start grooming your dog early on so they can get used to it. We tried these fun HandsOnGloves.com that allows the owner to use both hands to massage and brush their pup.
Car Seat Protectors:
- Luxury waterproof seat cover of heavyweight cloth that protects the back seat of your car from pet fur, dirty and muddy footprints, water, and clawing damage
- Size is 54″ x 58″; big enough to fit most cars, trucks, and SUVs
CBD oils and balms are a hot item in the pet world now. While a puppy should not experience arthritis or cancer at this point, it is nice to have on hand for hot spots. Check out Innovet’s Hemp Protect Balm
- Heal. Designed to help pets of all shapes and sizes with skin problems, dermatitis (allergies & hot spots), pain, inflammation, and arthritis.
- Protect. Fast acting & absorbing for immediate protection. 100% non-toxic (safe to ingest) for those big-time lickers. The best way to give all the potential benefits of hemp to pets that don’t like the flavor of oils or treats.
- Balm. So many hemp balms contain THC! Not only does this cause major legal confusion in many parts of the world, but THC is toxic to dogs. Our balm is 100% THC-free, 250 mg of full spectrum USDA hemp.
When your puppy celebrates it’s first birthday, be sure to make them on of our homemade dog cakes!
NEW PUPPY CHECKLIST
Be sure you get a dog crate large enough for the full size of your dog. Finding one with a divider is ideal.Continue Reading
Distract puppies from chewing your wood and your family members, and get them a variety of toys to chew on.Continue Reading
Basic Dog Collar and Leash Sets for Dogs
Every dog needs a set of the.Continue Reading
AmazonBasics Stainless Steel Dog Bowl
A bowl for water and food, stainless steal is the best.Continue Reading
Nature’s Miracle Stain and Odor Remover for Dogs, Enzymatic Formula Dog Stain & Odor Remover
poop and pee happens be preparedContinue Reading