Bringing a new puppy home is an exciting time for the whole family. Having everything ready and set up for the new fur baby is ideal or else you will be scrambling to find the time to get the stuff you need.
We have just welcomed our second puppy and found this New Puppy checklist of items so helpful when welcoming your new bundle of joy.
With only 24 hours notice to bring our pup home, we relied on our past experience of these items you want to make your new puppy experience a little less stressful.
This post contains affiliate links as well as free products provided to us by our brand partners.
Essential Supplies Bringing Home New Dog
We recently brought home a second puppy to join our already crazy household.
New Puppy Checklist ESSENTIALS
1. An appropriately sized crate. Dogs are den animals, and they love the comfort and security offered by a snug space of their own. You will want a steel crate, so the puppy won’t chew through a soft-sided one.
Since we don’t want to buy multiple sized crates for our eventually 75 lb dog, you need to find a crate that will fit them full grown. Be sure to look for one that has a divider so you can expand the space as the pup grows. If the pup lives in a crate that is too big, they will use the extra room like a bathroom. Otherwise, dogs do not like to use their “den” as a potty area.
Don’t forget the crate mat.
2. Wire playpen and Baby Gates. Dog pens with wire panels can be configured to any size or shape you might need. They can also be used to block doorways to rooms you’d like to keep off-limits. Baby gates are great to keep your pup in a small space like your kitchen as they being house broken. Puppies should not use the stairs to early either, so blocking off these areas can save your dogs hips.
4. Leash and collar. Don’t pick up your pup before buying a leash and collar. The last thing you want is your dog running off when you get out them out of the car. Allow your dog to wear their leash around the house to get acclimated to the feel.
Love the idea of leather products but want to be sustainable.
Project Blu, a newly launched in the United States sustainable brand that offers upcycled and recycled pet beds and vegan leather pet accessories.By diverting over 6 million plastic bottles and counting and transforming them into Italian crafted dog and cat accessories and bedding
3. Dog chew toys. Puppies will chew anything they can reach, from wood molding to your favorite shoes. Having plenty of dog toys around will get distract him from biting you as well as work those puppy teeth.
No two dogs like the same toys but some favorite chewing toys are Nylabones, Kong products, deer antlers and femur bones you can fill with peanut butter and freeze. Stuffed toys are adorable just be sure they don’t have any plastic eyes or noses. Stay away from your kids stuffed animal collection and consider something with rope filling instead of filling.
POWER CHEWER TOYS
Check out the family of brands from SodaPup. All American made and perfect for those power chewer puppies and grown dogs.
The licking mats are perfect for crate training that anxious dog. Cover them with yogurt, peanut butter or even salmon oil for a long lasting licking challenge
Treat dispensers are great for fast eaters or to entertain pups. These can be filled with kibble, small treats, or even soft foods like yogurt or peanut butter and frozen for a long lasting treat.
5. Bitter apple spray or Hot Sauce in a spray bottle . To keep your dog from destructive chewing, especially furniture, spray it or coat it with bitter apple, cayenne pepper, or a hot sauce like Tabasco. Bitter apple spray does not stain the furniture and you can not smell it but your dog does not.
6. Puppy food and bowls. Puppies need to eat and drink all day. In fact puppies need to eat three times a day. Avoid plastic bowls as this is just another chew toy for your dog. Purchase stainless steel dog bowls with non slip bottoms if possible.
Have you heard of the HERO bowl? They have a built-in smart silver ion technology. This technology provides the bowl with 24-hour antimicrobial protection, which means the likelihood of a pooch’s bowl getting contaminated with MRSA and/or E.Coli bacteria is pretty much nil.
67% of dog bowls that come out of the dishwasher still have Salmonella present on the surface. Bacteria will continue to thrive unless the surface is continuously resistant to germs, and most dog bowls aren’t. Because the HERO bowl is coated with smart silver ions, it immediately eliminates microbes from coming back after washing. And if that’s not amazing enough—the coating resists bacteria for 25 years, even if scratched or chewed!!
7. An enzyme cleaner.
Poop happens! If your puppy has accidents in the house, which they will at first. be sure to clean up their accident immediately. Use a pet specific spray that contains enzymes to eliminate odors dogs can smell reducing the chance they will reuse that area.
We have used Natures Miracle for years.
8. NATURAL and Safe AIR FRESHENERS
One, two or three dogs the house will have a dog odor at some point. We don’t want to spray chemicals, so we like to use Fresh Wave, a line of natural, plant-based odor eliminator products, great for freshening up living and working spaces while still being safe for kids, pets, and the planet.
Fresh Wave products use a blend of natural plant oils to find and neutralize odor molecules, in the air and on surfaces. Pet-specific products include:
- Pet Odor Removing Spray
- Fresh Wave pet odor removing spray safely neutralizes odors at the molecular level using a tested plant-based formula to completely remove everyday pet odors, including skunks.
- Odor removing pod packs
- Perfect for small spaces with big odors, such as a designated pet area, these packs offer great on-the-go odor control. We also love them in our garbage bins under the bags for long lasting odor reduction
- Fresh Wave Odor Removing Gel another great and long lasting odor control method. We placed ours near the litter box and near sports equipment. Yes if you have teenagers, I guarantee you will thank me for these!
EXTRA Puppy Supplies to Have Eventually
Natural DOG TREATS
Give your dog natural treats while supporting local farmers sounds like a win win for any dog owner.
Giving my older dog a duck foot basically put him over the moon!
Farms Hounds is a trusted brand that makes dogs and their owners feel happy and rewarded. Working with farm partners that practice regenerative agriculture, the brand is committed to sourcing its ingredients in a very unique way for the pet industry.
Regenerative agriculture is a set of holistic farming practices that ultimately pull carbon from the air and transfer it underground—storing carbon and re(storing) agricultural soils, as one of Farm Hounds’ recent partners explains.
Farm Hounds’ nutritious products are crafted from products that are directly sourced from farms that follow regenerative agriculture principles, providing 100% farm-fresh beef, pork, lamb, and goat products free of antibiotics, hormones, chemicals, and pesticides. The hides are 100% grass-fed and pasture-raised.
Looking for a healthy snack for your pup? Not all treats on the market are created equal. You should be as picky picking out snacks for your dog, as you would your kids.
Check out PetPlate’s 100% Organic Chicken Apple Sausage Bites. Not only are they high-protein, they’re easy to break apart and oh so delicious.
These treats are made with 100% human-grade ingredients in a USDA kitchen, following the same safety standards used to make human food.
Zesty Paws best-selling treats for the Spring (calming, anti-allergy, and stay green bites to keep lawns pee-spot free are a must for the older dog in your home.
Talk to your vet before adding any supplements to your dog’s diet. Zesty paws offers products to support their gut health, immune systems, hip and joints and good behaviors with soft chews, tasty Omega-3 salmon fish oils, hemp seed enhanced products, premium freeze-dried snacks, and chomper-friendly oral sticks for periodontal health.
Grooming your dog not only keeps them looking good, but it also builds a bond. Be sure to start grooming your dog early on so they can get used to it. We tried these fun HandsOnGloves.com that allows the owner to use both hands to massage and brush their pup.
Car Seat Protectors:
- Luxury waterproof seat cover of heavyweight cloth that protects the back seat of your car from pet fur, dirty and muddy footprints, water, and clawing damage
- Size is 54″ x 58″; big enough to fit most cars, trucks, and SUVs
Couch/ Furniture Protectors
Second Child syndrome, this pup is allowed on the couch. Well, prevent dirt, hair, and slobber on your couch by using a furniture cover. We like this one from The Slipcover Company. It has side pockets and our pup seems to really like it, maybe too much.
CBD PET PRODUCTS
CBD oils and balms are a hot item in the pet world now. While a puppy should not experience arthritis or cancer at this point, it is nice to have on hand for hot spots. Check out Innovet’s Hemp Protect Balm
- Heal. Designed to help pets of all shapes and sizes with skin problems, dermatitis (allergies & hot spots), pain, inflammation, and arthritis.
- Protect. Fast acting & absorbing for immediate protection. 100% non-toxic (safe to ingest) for those big-time lickers. The best way to give all the potential benefits of hemp to pets that don’t like the flavor of oils or treats.
- Balm. So many hemp balms contain THC! Not only does this cause major legal confusion in many parts of the world, but THC is toxic to dogs. Our balm is 100% THC-free, 250 mg of full spectrum USDA hemp.