If there is any food that screams summer is it watermelon. In my house, there is a watermelon in the fridge every week once they hit the markets. My kids would eat an entire watermelon in two days if I let them. However, they are not always that sweet or over ripe.
I am not sure if there is a perfect way to distinguish a good watermelon, please share with us if you have any tricks. Here is a wonderful recipe to use up the watermelon that may not be moving out of the house so quickly, Watermelon Margaritas from Everyday Food Magazine.
Also, melon can be sliced, placed onto a cookie sheet and frozen for up to 2 months so you can enjoy this treat early fall after they have been taken off market shelves. Or use the frozen cubes as the ice in the individual drinks for a festive look.
Best Watermelon Margarita Recipe
In a blender, puree 12 ounces watermelon cubes (about 2 cups) until smooth.
Strain through a fine mesh sieve, pressing on solids into a pitcher. ( you should have about 1 cup of juice)
Stir in Syrup, 1/4 cup fresh lime juice (from about 3 limes) and 3/4 cup white or silver tequila.
Fill salt-rimmed glasses with ice, then pour watermelon margaritas mixture over top. Garnish with lime wedges.
We also added a little lime zest to our salt for the green and white speckled look
This watermelon margaritas recipe suggests it is 4 servings. We had two servings each. Just beware they are very smooth and pretty potent.
I also made the simple syrup recipe earlier in the day and let it cool to room temperature on the stove. You could also make the “watermelon” juice before the party and allow to sit in your fridge until serving time. I also don’t think there would be a problem with doubling the recipe. You may just need to use a food processor for more volume.
Happy Summer!! What type of flavored Margarita do you enjoy when the weather heats up? If you prefer a Virgin Strawberry Margarita we have you covered.
Watermelon Margarita Recipe
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 wide strips orange zest
- 12 ounces watermelon cubes (about 2 cups)
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 3/4 cup white or silver tequila
- Lime wedges
- In a small saucepan, bring sugar, water, and orange zest to a boil over high. Reduce to a simmer and cook until sugar dissolves, 3 minutes. Let syrup cool in a bowl. (Can be made a day or two ahead)
- In a blender, puree watermelon cubes until smooth.
- Strain through a fine-mesh sieve, pressing on solids, into a pitcher (you should have about 1 cup juice).
- Stir in syrup, lime juice, and tequila. (Place in Fridge to serve later if desired.)
- Fill salt-rimmed glasses with ice, then pour margarita mixture over top. Garnish with lime wedges.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 236Total Fat 0gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 0mgSodium 4mgCarbohydrates 36gFiber 1gSugar 31gProtein 1g