There is no better way on a Fall day then to take the trip to a pick your own Apple Orchard. This year went on a weekend with multiple apple types available. I make sure we pick enough cooking apples to make this Easy Apple Pie recipe. At the apple orchard this year, I could not resist the beautiful Granny Smith Apples for pie making. There is nothing better than the amazing aroma that comes out of your oven while baking an apple pie. This is an easy apple pie recipe not only because I use a frozen pie crust for the bottom layer and rolled pie crust for the top, but also the caramel sauce that goes over the apples.
Easy Apple Pie Recipe
Every good pie starts with some good apples. Start with 4-5 large sized baking apples, like I mentioned earlier, I used Granny Smith apples for this apple pie recipe.
The hardest part is peeling the apples, get the kids to help. Be sure to slice the wedges into thirds for a nice thin slice.
Make a caramel base, don’t worry it is not a normal caramel sauce, just some butter and sugar.
Pour your mixture over your apples.
Stir and pour into your frozen pie crust.
I also used pre-made crusts which cut down on prep time. Don’t worry we are going show you this pie making hack that you will love.
Instead of making plain straight lines in your pie crust for vents, use a small cookie cutter. Since this is an apple pie, we had to go with an apple cookie cutter.
When you brush your crust with milk, simply attach the cut outs onto the pie crust before you sprinkle it with sugar.
Can’t wait to see this come out of the oven.
What a wonderful way to use up those cooking apples of the season. Grab several more pounds while they are inexpensive at the markets.
This was truly a wonderfully tasting pie. My kids devoured the entire thing so I could not take a picture of a slice. They didn’t even complain we were out of vanilla ice cream.
Get into the fall baking season with this super easy apple pie recipe, it is worth the little effort of peeling those apples.
- 1 pastry for a 9 inch double crust
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 8 Granny Smith apples - peeled, cored and sliced ( I used 4 large apples)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp clove
- 1/4 tsp all spice
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Melt the butter in a saucepan. Stir in flour to form a paste. Add water, white sugar and brown sugar, and bring to a boil. Reduce temperature and let simmer. Add cinamon, clove all spice and vanilla
- 2. Place the bottom crust in your pan. Fill with apples that have been mixed with the sugar mixture. Add the crust and brush lightly with milk and sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
- 3. Bake 15 minutes in the preheated oven. Reduce the temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Continue baking for 35 to 45 minutes, until apples are soft.
- Allow to cool fully before serving.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 295 Saturated Fat: 9g Cholesterol: 30mg Sodium: 102mg Carbohydrates: 28g Sugar: 12g Protein: 1g
Do you like to bake apple pies in glass, bakeware or tin pans??
Pin this Easy Apple Pie recipe for fall baking
Other Apple Pie recipes you might like: