My kids begged for more and I even eliminated the oil and added applesauce in it’s place. This could also be the reason it was so moist. I also checked the cake about a minute b/f the minimal time and it was done. So often I set my timer and rely on the directions that the timing will be right and things come out dry…I guess the tip with this is just get to know your oven:)
We also used Non-fat Greek yogurt instead of the sour cream. That is my go to substitute these days, filled with more protein than sour cream but gives the food the same tangy taste.
Allow your banana snack cake to cool completely before cutting or even taking it out of the pan. I love my steel cooling racks, I have several different size.
When you want banana bread but don’t have an hour to wait for it to cook, make a banana snack cake instead. Filled with all the goodness and with some healthy adaptations you have an after school snack you can feel good about giving to your kids. Cut it up into slices and freeze individually if you don’t want to eat it all in one day.
Happy baking and snacking…
Banana Snack Cake Recipe
- 2 Cups White Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 tsp each baking powder and baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup sugar(
- 2 whole eggs
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup mashed, ripened banana
- 1/2 cup non-fat Greek Yogurt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips or toffee bits
- Prehead oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x 13 pan with non-stick cooking spray
- Mix the dry ingredients in one bowl and set aside
- In a larger bowl mix together sugar, eggs, and applesauce. Add bananas, yogurt and vanilla. Beat again until smooth.
- Add the dry ingredients slowly. The batter will be thick. Fold in chips.
- Spoon batter into pan and bake for 25 to 28 mins or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack. Cut into 16 pieces.
Nutrition InformationYield 24 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 72Total Fat 2gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 1gCholesterol 16mgSodium 130mgCarbohydrates 12gFiber 2gSugar 4gProtein 3g
All information and tools presented and written within this site are intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information on stayingclosetohome.com should only be used as a general guideline.