Just because it is the new year and you probably made a resolution to lose weight or eat healthy, does not mean you can still enjoy some of your favorite vices. Thanks to Southern Living’s January issue I found this great blueberry Coffee cake that not only uses the wonderful frozen berries for the summer but is lightened up for the calorie conscious eater.
Blueberry Coffee Cake Recipe
This cake is really pretty to serve to guests or to your own family when you have some extra time in the morning. Take the time to mix the dry ingredients the night before to make for an easier preparation,
My kids and husband really enjoyed this recipe and I love the taste of blueberries in the middle of winter. This is a great recipe to use up any frozen blueberries from the summer. Best part they do not have to be defrosted first.
WANT A SLICE??
Lightened Up Blueberry Coffee Cake Recipe
- ~1 large egg
- ~1/2 cup fat-free milk
- ~ 1/2 cup plain fat-free yogurt
- ~ 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ~2 cups all-purpose flour
- ~1/2 cup granulated sugar
- ~4 teaspoons baking powder
- ~1/2 teaspoon salt
- ~1 1/2 cups frozen blueberries, no need to thaw
- ~1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- ~2 tablespoons turbinado sugar
- ~2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- ~1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 400°. Whisk together egg, milk, yogurt, and vegetable oil in a large bowl.
2. Sift together flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt in another bowl. (You can do this the night before for quicker assembly in the morning.)
3. Stir flour mixture into egg mixture just until dry ingredients are moistened.
4. Toss 1 1/4 cups blueberries in 1 Tbsp. flour; fold into batter. Pour into a lightly greased 9-inch springform pan. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup blueberries.
5. Stir together 2 Tbsp. turbinado sugar, sliced almonds, and cinnamon; sprinkle over batter. (I did not have turbinado sugar so just used regular)
6. Bake at 400° for 25 to 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
7. Cool in pan on a wire rack 15 minutes; remove sides of pan.