I had some extra ripe bananas and also needed a dessert for dinner, I searched the internet and found this Chocolate Chip Banana Cake with Peanut Butter Frosting. I was a little skeptical at first. I printed out the recipe and then just laid it on the counter moving toward dinner prep. Well my husband found the recipe sitting there and wondered how I could skip making 3 of his favorite things all in one recipe. The kids agreed so I got baking and loving it.
This is a very thick batter recipe, it resembles a banana bread in a way. Next time I might make this Banana Cake recipe and add the chips and frosting but don’t get me wrong you only need a small slice.
One of the most important steps in cake making is creaming the butter. Be sure to start with room temperature butter for the best results.
Mini Chocolate chips really spread out the chocolate flavor and don’t fall to the bottom of the cake.
I used two 9 inch pans for the recipe and could easily half the recipe and make a single layer for a casual weeknight dessert.
The best part, the peanut butter frosting. I will be using this frosting again, on something very chocolatey .
You could eat this with a spoon.
IT spread nicely on the cake as well.
Chocolate Chip Banana Cake with Peanut Butter Frosting
- Nonstick vegetable oil spray- or baking spray
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup 2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups mashed very ripe bananas
- 1 cup sour cream or greek yogurt
- 1 10- ounce bag mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat cake pans with nonstick spray, no need for parchment if using baking spray with flour. Whisk flour, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Using an electric mixer, beat sugar, butter, and brown sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add eggs one at a time, beating to blend between additions and occasionally scraping down sides and bottom of bowl. Beat in vanilla.
- Add dry ingredients; beat on low speed just to blend. Add bananas and sour cream; beat just to blend. Fold in mini chips. Divide batter evenly among pans; smooth tops.
- Bake cakes until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean, about 35-45 minutes. Be sure to check on it 5 mins before it is timer and every 5 minutes after .
- Transfer to wire racks; let cool in pans for 10 minutes. Invert cakes onto racks; and let cool completely.
Nutrition InformationYield 12 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 591Total Fat 29gSaturated Fat 16gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 10gCholesterol 99mgSodium 599mgCarbohydrates 80gFiber 3gSugar 50gProtein 8g
All information and tools presented and written within this site are intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information on stayingclosetohome.com should only be used as a general guideline.
What do you think of the Chocolate Banana Cake with Peanut Butter Frosting Combination?