We have made several scone varieties in the past, such as make ahead cranberry scones and Triple Chocolate Hazelnut Scones Recipe to name a few. These Super Easy Mini Lemon Scones knock it out of the park for flavor and how moist they are.
I adapted a recipe I found that uses pudding in their scone mixture. Not only does it add flavor, lemon in the case, but it definitely keeps the scones moist. No hockey pucks with this lemon scone recipe.
How To Make Mini Lemon Scones
First, make sure you have these ingredients before starting to make this scones recipe easy:
2 cups all-purpose flour or White Whole Wheat
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter — diced
1 box — 3.4 ounces instant lemon pudding mix
1/2 cup Whipping Cream or half and half
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Don’t fear, there is lemon zest in the mixture as well as lemon juice in the glaze. We don’t skimp out of true lemon flavorings here.
The key to a good scone, is not over mixing the batter. It is important to keep butter chunks in the dough to create fluffy and airy scones.
Looking at this you may think, I need to add more liquid or keep stirring… DO NOT OVER MIX THE BATTER! It will come together when you lightly knead the scone mixture into a ball.
We made these for a teacher appreciation brunch, so I wanted these smaller than the cranberry scones I made for a smaller brunch. Simply divide the dough in half or even three times depending just how small you want your scones.
Slice each circle into 8 triangles and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. This will make for easy clean up too.
Be sure to watch the scones as they will brown quickly on the bottom. You don’t want to over bake your scones either!!
Once they have cooled, make your lemon glaze and drizzle on top of your cooled scones. You can dip them too if you desire but I prefer the look for these a little fancier.
If you have never made scones, I would definitely give this recipe a try. Now that you know the secret recipe, the flavor combinations are endless.
Next time I might use vanilla or chocolate pudding for a different variation.
Other scones recipes you might love:
Super Easy Mini Lemon Scones with Pudding Mix Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour or White Whole Wheat
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter — diced
- 1 box — 3.4 ounces instant lemon pudding mix
- 1/2 cup Whipping Cream or half and half
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Zest from one large lemon
- FOR THE GLAZE:
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Pinch salt
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add diced cold butter and cut in with a pastry cutter until the butter is worked in and the mixture is crumbly. Stir in the pudding mix.
- Place the cream, egg, vanilla, and lemon extract in a measuring cup. Whisk to combine.
- Create a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the wet ingredients. Stir with a fork until just combined. See pictures to see it will still look dry.
- Turn out the dough onto a cutting board. Knead the dough a few times until the mixture comes together and is smooth.
- Cut the dough in half. Form each half of the dough into a disk that’s about 1-2” thick. Slice each circle of dough into 8 wedges
- Place scones on prepared cookie sheet. . Bake for 8-11 minutes, or until the bottoms are just golden brown. Cool completely before glazing.
- To make the glaze: whisk all ingredients in a small bowl. Drizzle over scone or dip one side into glaze. .
Nutrition InformationYield 16 Serving Size 1 scone
Amount Per Serving Calories 195 Total Fat 8g Saturated Fat 5g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 3g Cholesterol 32mg Sodium 190mg Carbohydrates 27g Fiber 2g Sugar 6g Protein 4g
Pin this when you are in the mood for some yummy scones.