I love the idea of hosting a Mothers’ Day Brunch, and of course, I knew this amazing cranberry scones recipe was going to be just what I want to include. With Mother’s Day brunch something that is all about making sure the mom in your life is feeling loved and special, it is important to make sure you have some delicate treats like this to add to your menu. This recipe is super easy to manage, and of course makes a perfect breakfast, brunch, or even dessert treat.
Mother’s Day Brunch Cranberry Scones Recipe
This post contains affiliate links.
I recently posted about the amazing and super easy Mother’s Day Breakfast Casserole. I knew I also wanted to share the Cranberry Scone recipe that I made basically while the breakfast casserole was in the oven and then baked while the casserole was cooling. It just seemed like the perfect light and sweet addition to a hearty Mother’s Day brunch menu!
You can also make these cranberry scones the night before and then bake as needed. I have the leftovers in my freezer. This is a great way to carry the special meal throughout the week with a quick addition to any breakfast!
I actually found this cranberry scones recipe in a church cookbook given to me by my husband’s aunt in Upstate New York. These were pretty incredible and I am always reminded how easy scones really are. Done correctly they seem so complex in flavor, but really they are just a sweetened biscuit. The key is to be sure the butter is cold and you leave large chunks of butter in the batter, DO NOT OVER BEAT OR KNEAD.
See the big chunks of butter in the batter, work, quickly so these don’t melt completely into your batter.
- 1 cup dried cranberries;
- 4 cups flour
- 1 cup Granulated Sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup Butter
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 tsp Cream of tartar
- 1/4 c. of milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a small bowl, blend the sour cream and baking soda, set aside.
- In A large bowl, mix the other dry ingredients together , add the butter the dry ingredients. Cut in to make coarse crumbs.
- Add the sour cream mixture and milk into the flour mixture and combine with dry ingredients until just moistened
- Stir in the cranberries gently.
- Turn out on to lightly floured board and gently work the dough
- Divide dough into 4 parts and pat into 3/4 in. rounds (8 inches in diameter) and cut each round into 6 triangles.
- Place on a parchment lined baking sheet, brush with the milk or cream , sprinkle the sugar mixture on tops.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown on bottom at 350 F
More great Mother’s Day Brunch ideas:
- Make Ahead Scones Recipe
- Strawberry Stuffed French Toast
- Banana Muffins with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Italian Breakfast Strata