I am such a sucker for the changing weather and all things pumpkin. Not a big pumpkin spice latte gal, but bake it in muffins, cake and breads I begin to drool. Opening my first can of pumpkin this year and I was inspired to make this Chocolate Pumpkin Bread that is sure to please the masses. My kids usually love chocolate chips in their pumpkin bread, so I thought I would mix things up and create a chocolate swirl for flavor and for looks. You can vary the amount of chocolate swirl based on your preferences. Be sure to check out our other quick bread recipes like: Zucchini Apple Quick Bread Recipe, Quick Buttermilk Zucchini Bread Recipe and Ultimate Chocolate Banana Bread Recipe.
Chocolate Pumpkin Bread Recipe
I just love what cooked pumpkin does to any batter. Canned is so easy and they even sell organic if you prefer.
This recipe makes two loaves of chocolate pumpkin bread. I took out about 2 cups of batter and added the cocoa powder to change it’s flavor and color.
Simply layer your chocolate layer over half of your pumpkin batter. You can carefully smooth the chocolate layer or swirl it into the batter. This is really your recipe.
Top with the remaining pumpkin batter and cook until a toothpick comes out clean.
I love how there was a little crack on top of the chocolate pumpkin bread and the chocolate came thru. Some might say that it was a baking error, I love it.
What are you waiting for, pumpkin bread that the kids will love after school or for breakfast. I froze one loaf of this yummy chocolate pumpkin bread to use at a later time. Quick breads freeze so nicely. Just take it out the night before to defrost.
What is your favorite way to use canned pumpkin?
- 1/2 cup shortening or butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup plain apple sauce
- 4 eggs
- 3 tsp vanilla
- 1 15 oz can of pumpkin
- 3 1/3 cup AP flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 2/3 cup of water
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease two 8- by 4 or 9x5 -inch loaf pans
- Cream sugar, shortening and applesauce together. Beat in eggs one at a time, then add vanilla. Stir in pumpkin until combined. In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Add dry ingredients and water alternatively to pumpkin batter, and then mix until completely combined.
- Spoon 2 cups batter into each pan. Spoon 2 cups batter into measuring cup and reserve.
- Whisk cocoa into remaining batter and spoon into pan. Either carefully spread the chocolate out our swirl with a knife. Then spoon reserved pumpkin batter over the top.
- Bake until top is just set and skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. About 45 minutes. Let cool in pan 45 minutes, then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
Amount Per Serving Calories 371Saturated Fat 4gCholesterol 81mgSodium 987mgCarbohydrates 49gFiber 3gSugar 30gProtein 6g