This summer vegetable gardening season was horrific. I am not sure what happened but the only thing that was successful at all was cucumbers and Japanese eggplant.
I am usually have an excess of tomatoes and this year we consumed maybe 2 dozen grape tomatoes. We had over 7 tomato plants in our garden if that gives you some perspective!!
Well I am not willing to give up, as it is Fall in Richmond, Va and you can still plant cool weather veggies for a a few more months. Wouldn’t this garden be something to inspire to? One must not just think of Fall in the garden as a raking of a leave season but to Find beauty in the Fall
FALL GARDENING TIPS
- Pull out all annual plants and weeds (and save your seeds if you can from productive vegetables and flowers)
- Feed and amend your soil.
- Plant garlic and spring bulbs.
- Plant winter crops & cover crops.
- Plant ornamental trees & shrubs.
- Tidy up and put gardening tools away.
This Fall gardening season I am going to go to the garden center and check out the Miracle-Gro product line to give this garden a jump start.
After looking at the Miracle-Gro Facebook page I found this helpful information for in-ground projects.
• Miracle-Gro® Garden Soil for Flowers &; Vegetables
- Specially formulated for annuals, perennials, and vegetables
- Improves existing soil to build strong roots
- Feeds up to 3 months with Miracle-Gro® Continuous Release Plant Food
- Miracle-Gro® LiquaFeed® Makes Feeding as Easy as Watering
- Feeds plants through leaves and roots
- For use with all flowers, vegetables, trees and shrubs
I look forward to adding some color to the fall garden by adding some colorful mums and pansies which will last until spring in this part of the country. I also love the ornamental cabbages available to brighten up your yard. Maybe if I get enough veggies I can make a fall table centerpiece like this?
When should I start planting my fall garden
However fall gardening is just not about raking leaves but also what you will enjoy in the current months. One must think about what spring flowering bulbs they would like to enjoy come the Spring.
I am feeling overwhelmed already but hope I will have a good start with the right products and garden design plans..
Best Cool-Weather Crops for a Productive Fall Garden
- Mustard Greens.
- Winter Radishes
- Swiss Chard
- Brussel Sprouts
What is your favorite Fall Garden Plant??