I have made a lot of banana bread recipes in my life, too many t remember. When my stock pile of over ripen bananas were noticed on my counter this time. I googled banana recipes just to see if there was something new out there I have not tried yet. Who would have ever thought: Banana Coffee Cake. Makes sense, a beefed up version of a traditional banana quick bread recipe.
I love trying new recipes and quick breads and coffee cakes usually do not require me to go out to the grocery store before make them. I tweaked this recipe slightly and the kids agreed it was good, but half of them did not like the nuts in the topping.
This Banana Coffee Cake Recipe is an easy recipe so don’t let the title scare you. Remember it basically is a quick bread which means quick recipe!
Banana Coffee Cake Recipe:
- 1 cup superfine sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup sour cream or greek yogurt
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar, or more to
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup oats– optional if you use cut in 3 tablespoons of butter
- confectionery sugar and vanilla for glaze
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9-inch square baking dish.
2. Beat superfine sugar and butter in a bowl with an electric mixer until smooth. Add eggs one at a time, beating until each egg is fully incorporated before adding the next. Mix baking soda into sour cream in another bowl and stir into butter mixture until combined.
3. Stir bananas into butter mixture; add cake flour and baking powder and mix well. Stir in vanilla extract. Pour banana cake batter into prepared baking dish.
4. Mix pecans, brown sugar, and cinnamon and oats in a bowl; sprinkle over cake batter. Pat down lightly. If using oats, but in 3 or 4 tablespoons of butter for a crumbly topping.
5. Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 45 minutes.
6. Optional to make a glaze out of powdered sugar and a little water.
It is so important to take a minute after school to unwind with your kids, provide them with a healthy snack. This time allows you to discuss their day before homework and after school activities take over.
WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE USE OF OVER RIPE BANANAS??