I don’t make biscotti very often but when I do the kids usually inhale the crispy cookie logs either dipped in hot chocolate or milk. My Nonna’s Biscotti Recipe is also a keeper and made in a completely different technique.
Homemade Biscotti does take time but really it is just baking time. It is well worth the 2nd baking of the individual slices to get the crispest end product.
What is Biscotti
Biscotti is a cookie but the goal is to make a hard crisp log. It is made with a simple dough that you can customize with your favorite extracts and add-ins,
In this method, you divide your dough into a “log”, which you will then bake, allow to cool, slice, bake again, flip, and then bake again. Just be sure to cut each slice the recommended width or you have the potential to burn them if they are too narrow. (mine got a little burned for this reason)
TIPS ON MAKING HOMEMADE BISCOTTI
- The dough can be pretty dense, so we recommend using a stand mixer.
- Want to change up the add ons? You can use about 3/4 cup of your favorite add-in. Some popular ones are mini chocolate chips, raisins, craisins, white chocolate chips, and pistachios.
- Make sure your biscotti cools completely before cutting into it.
- BE PATIENT WHEN TURNING YOUR SLICES. When they are warm they are especially fragile and likely to break.
WHAT IS THE BEST KNIFE TO USE WHEN CUTTING BISCOTTI
Treat these cookies like a loaf of bread. Use a serrated knife for the best results.
How do you like to eat Biscotti? With Milk or Dipped in Coffee?
- ⅓ cup Butter, with salt
- ⅔ cup Granulated Sugars
- 2 Eggs
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup Cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- 1 Egg yolk,
- 1 tablespoon Water
Reduce Oven to 350: Using a serrated knife, slice the loaves diagonally into 1-inch slices. Return the slices to the baking sheet, placing them on their sides. Bake for 10 minutes on each side, or until dry. Cool completely and store in an airtight container.
For a festive look, drizzle melted chocolate on cooled slices.
Nutrition InformationYield 30 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 93Total Fat 4gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 24mgSodium 74mgCarbohydrates 13gFiber 1gSugar 6gProtein 2g
All information and tools presented and written within this site are intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information on stayingclosetohome.com should only be used as a general guideline.