For years I have made Linguine with clam sauce, 1) with a tomato sauce base and 2) using the canned clams. After making Linguine with Fresh Clam Sauce a few times, I am not sure I can go back, especially since the kids had so much fun eating them out of the shells. I knew it would be a hit because they have ordered them at a restaurant before. (Yes my kids have the pallete of a sophisticated adult). I think the idea of using fresh clams was intimating at first but really it is an inexpensive dish that can serve the whole family. At our grocery, I purchased 2 lbs of clams for 6.99. Add a box of two dollar pasta and you have a dinner for 4 for under $10. Not to mention this pasta dish looks like something you can only get at a nice Italian restaurant takes under 30 minutes to make.
This is a two pot meal, which makes clean up a breeze. If you can boil pasta and heat oil you have yourself a gourmet meal on the table in 30 minutes.
Before the clams are cooked:
After they have steamed for a few minutes.
Linguine with Fresh Clam Sauce Recipe
- 1 pound dry linguine or spaghetti
- Kosher salt
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup water
- 36 little neck clams, scrubbed or 2 lbs
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Freshly ground pepper
- Grated pecorino romano or parmesan for serving
- Rinse and clean your clams.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and season generously with salt. Boil the pasta until al dente, tender but still firm.
- While the pasta cooks make the clam sauce. Heat the olive oil in a large saute pan over medium-low heat. Add the garlic and cook until softened but not browned, about 3 minutes. Add the pepper flakes and cook for 30 seconds more. Add the wine and water and increase the heat to high. Allow the mixture to reduce to half.
- Add the clams, cover, and cook, shaking the pan periodically, until all the clams are opened, about 6 minutes.
- Drain the pasta and add to the clam sauce. Add the parsley and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Divide among heated bowls and serve immediately with grated parmesan cheese.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 537 Total Fat 17g Saturated Fat 3g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 12g Cholesterol 107mg Sodium 2002mg Carbohydrates 41g Net Carbohydrates 0g Fiber 2g Sugar 1g Sugar Alcohols 0g Protein 46gAll information and tools presented and written within this site are intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information on stayingclosetohome.com should only be used as a general guideline.
Have you ever made Linguine with Fresh Clam Sauce before? Do you prefer red or white linguine with clam sauce?