Cheese balls are a quick and easy appetizer any time of year but especially around the holidays. I love that you can make them ahead of time and freeze them. One of my favorites is this Curry Cheese ball recipe we have been making for years.
However, there tends to be a lot of waste when you make a large cheese ball and you really can’t put it together and serve it the next day.
I am so excited to share these mini cheese balls that can also be made and frozen ahead of time. They are simple one-bite appetizers that were gone long before the party ended.
Mini Cheeseball Appetizer Recipe
I was not sure how they would taste, so I made a half recipe, which made 21 small cheese balls. These were gone so quickly I wish I would have made more.
Start with softened cream cheese. If you are in a hurry, you can place a block on a plate and microwave for about 30 seconds or until softened.
HOW TO MAKE MINI CHEESE BALLS
Place all your ingredients in a bowl and using a mixer, I find this the easiest, mix all your ingredients until well mixed.
Using a small Ice Cream Scoop, much easier than a melon baller, to scoop out even balls. Even if you are making these for immediate use, I would place them on a piece of parchment paper on a cookie sheet and place in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
CAN I MAKE CHEESEBALLS AHEAD OF TIME?
If you are freezing these, allow the mini cheese balls to freeze on the cookie sheet then transfer them to a freezer Ziploc Bag. (Take them out the night before and put them in the fridge to defrost.
Allow them to sit out while you chop up your nuts, green onions, and dried cranberries.
WHAT CAN I ROLL MY CHEESEBALL IN?
- NUTS pecans or walnut
- Dried fruits like cranberries and apricots
- Chives or green onions
These colors are great for the holidays but dried apricots would be good too.) I rolled the nuts and cranberries the night before I needed them but waited for the green onions until right before.
Place your cheese balls onto a platter and insert a pretzel stick.
Not only do you have a flavorful appetizer but also a very festive platter.
You can make a large batch and keep them in the freezer for surprise guests. They would just have to thaw for about an hour.
As long as you have nuts and dried fruit on hand, you can roll them in something delicious. If you don’t have pretzel sticks, you could also serve them on top of a small cracker.
Mini Cheese Balls Appetizer Recipe
- Cheese balls
- 2 Tbsp of Butter, softened
- 1 8 oz block of Cream Cheese, softened
- 2 tsp of Lemon Juice
- 1/2 tsp worchestire sauce
- 1/2 tsp hot sauce
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar Cheese For rolling
- 1/3 cup of dried fruit, cranberries, apricots
- 1/3 cup chopped nuts, walnuts or pecans
- 1/3 cup chopped onions or chives
- pretzel sticks
- Mix all ingredients of the cheese ball in a bowl. I find using a mixer works them best. Mix until blended well.
- Using a small ice cream scoop, scoop out little cheese balls and place on parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Place in fridge for at least 2 hours.
- Take out while chopping toppings. Roll each ball into the topping and place on a platter.
- Insert the pretzel stick into the ball and serve right away.
Nutrition InformationYield 24 Serving Size 1 cheese ball
Amount Per Serving Calories 80Total Fat 6gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 13mgSodium 79mgCarbohydrates 5gFiber 1gSugar 2gProtein 2g