Nothing says Fall like Pumpkin and Apples. This delicious Pumpkin Apple Streusel cake has the best of both worlds.
You can enjoy it warm out of the oven with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, or room temperature with a cup of coffee in the morning.
The dessert starts with a dense, moist pumpkin cake, which is topped with a layer of spiced apples, which are topped with a crumbly streusel topping. It is like the best combination of a pumpkin bread, apple pie and a crisp in one bite.
Do I have you intrigued yet? This recipe does not use a full can of pumpkin so make a batch of these Pumpkin Biscotti with the remainder of the can. Trust me you can do both in one baking session, I did.
What you need to make this autumn dessert.
Don’t fret, it looks like a lot of ingredients but its really just spices and other ingredients you already have at home. BE SURE YOU BAKE THIS INB A SPRING FORM PAN
For the cooked apples:
- unsalted butter
- cooking apples (ie granny smith)
- ground cinnamon
For the pumpkin cake:
- all purpose flour
- brown sugar
- unsalted butter
- canned pure pumpkin
- sour cream or plain greek yogurt
- pumpkin pie spice
- baking soda
- large eggs
HOW TO MAKE THIS LAYERED PUMPKIN APPLE CAKE
Make your apple topping first as you will want it to cool down before adding it to your pumpkin mixture. You might even want to double the recipe as these make a yummy side dish for pork.
WHAT TYPE OF APPLES ARE BEST FOR BAKING
The best “baking apples” include Braeburn, Cortland, Honey Gold, Jonathan, Fuji, Gala, Granny Smith, Haralson, and Newtown Pippin. Try mixing a variety of baking apples to take the flavor of your dessert to whole new depths.
How to make Pumpkin Cake
This recipe starts off in a unique way. You make the streusel topping first, take some out and then continue with the wet ingredients to get to a cake batter consistency.
I love when a recipe is easy like this and you are not having to make the streusel topping separately.
Once your apples have cooled, then you can start layering the autumn goodness.
BAKE and your house will smell like a fall bakery. No need for scented candles today.
Allow to cool for about 20 minutes then release the sides of the pan.
Enjoy this cake warm with a dollop of ice cream and a drizzle of caramel sauce, I mean why not.
Enjoy any leftovers for a breakfast treat without the ice cream. Unless you need your calcium intake!!
Pumpkin Apple Streusel Cake Recipe
This easy-to-make dessert tastes like pumpkin spice cake and apple crisp baked together.
- For the apples:
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 cups diced peeled cored Granny Smith apples (about 4 large)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- For the cake:
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup firmly packed golden brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into pieces, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup canned pure pumpkin
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 large eggs
1. For the apples, melt butter in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add apples; sauté until apples begin to brown, about 5 minutes. Add sugar and cinnamon and sauté until golden brown, about 3 minutes longer. Cool.
2. For the cake, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter 9-inch-diameter springform pan. Combine flour, brown sugar, butter, and salt in large bowl. Using electric mixer, beat until mixture resembles coarse meal. Set aside 2/3 cup of mixture for topping. Beat pumpkin, sour cream, 2 tablespoons sugar, spice, and baking soda into remaining flour mixture, beating just until smooth. Beat in eggs. Transfer batter to pan. Scatter apples evenly over top. Sprinkle reserved topping over apples.
3. Bake cake until topping is golden brown and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 1 hour 10 minutes. Cool cake in pan on rack 20 minutes. Run knife around pan sides to loosen cake. Release pan sides from cake. Transfer cake to platter. Serve warm or at room temperature with ice cream.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 10 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 258Total Fat 7gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 52mgSodium 260mgCarbohydrates 46gFiber 2gSugar 29gProtein 4g
All information and tools presented and written within this site are intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information on stayingclosetohome.com should only be used as a general guideline.