Do you get bored with the traditional pasta and potato salad at summer picnics? Here is a super easy and wait for it, reduced fat broccoli salad that is filled with crunch and sweetness that is sure to be a crowd pleaser. My husband requests this every so often as he used to eat something similar at a restaurant in San Diego when he was stationed there. What I love about this side dish is that you don’t have to parboil the broccoli you just dump it. I fried up my bacon earlier in the day but if you buy the precooked variety you are already ahead of the game. Heck, just buy broccoli florets and there is no excuse why you can’t bring this quick side dish to any party.
So I already told you how easy the prep is, now for the dressing. I made the dressing in a mason jar the day before I was serving this dish. All I did before serving was added a little bit more vinegar as it seemed pretty thick and wanted a lighter dressing. I used both low fat mayonnaise and greek yogurt to lighten up this recipe. There was a nut allergy at our event, so I skipped the toasted walnuts but we did not miss them.
Many of the recipes tell suggest waiting to add dressing right before serving. I did not want to be dealing with this while I was entertaining so I dressed the salad a few hours before serving. The bacon kept its crunch for the most part. It definitely was soggy for leftovers the next day, but it was very tasty.
Forget about the traditional side dishes and plain veggie trays and make up a batch of this lower fat broccoli salad to accompany any grilling party.
- 1 1/2 lbs broccoli, broken into florets
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup finely chopped Red onion
- 1 cup toasted chopped walnuts or sunflower seeds, optional
- 7 strips bacon, crisply fried and cumbled.
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup low fat mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons vinegar -or more if you want it thinner
- In a large bowl, combine salad ingredients. Refrigerate.In a small bowl, combine dressing ingredients. Refrigerate. Just before serving, stir dressing into salad.
Nutrition InformationYield 6
Amount Per Serving Calories 2657 Saturated Fat 32g Cholesterol 124mg Sodium 2158mg Carbohydrates 258g Fiber 35g Sugar 88g Protein 70g