While I have 2 kids off to overnight camp and cooking dinner for 3 is such a treat. I recently was introduced to “ALL You” magazine and was intrigued by some of the recipes, especially the salads When the weather is hot, it who wants to eat a big meal but you still want the right amount of protein. The Roasted Shrimp and White Bean Salad was just what what we needed.
This is a super quick main dish meal, especially if you use canned beans. Shrimp takes no time to cook and if you don’t want to heat up the oven, grill them or saute them in a pan. After tasting this with only the addition of some home-grown cucumber I believe you can make some great salads variations with the basic recipe.
Another great thing about this recipes is the total prep time. A mere 25 minutes total. It does not have to marinate but I did make it about an hour early and placed it in my fridge. I think the beans benefit for sitting in the dressing for a few minutes. If you want to make this ahead wait until serving to cut up your avocado to avoid it turning brown.
Greek: instead of cilantro add a little greek oregano, feta, cucumbers and black olives (eliminate the avocado if you want)
Italian: roast some cheery tomatoes with the shrimp and add basil and cubed mozzarella
My husband and I loved the dish. My 7-year-old picked out the shrimp, cucumbers and avocado and left the rest of the ingredients on his plate. We don’t eat a lot of cold beans so I can see his dislike. He asked “Is this a vegetarian meal?”
- 12 oz medium shrimp, peeled, deveined
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- salt and peper
- 2 -15oz cans white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 large tomato, cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 2 Tbsp chopped red onion
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 small cucumber cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- 1/4 tsp lime juice
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
- 2 small avocados, peeled, pitted and cut into 1/2 inch dice
- Preheat oven to 400, line a rimmed baking sheet with foil
- In a bowl, toss shrimp with 1 Tbsp oil, season with salt and pepper. Spread in a single layer on baking sheet and roast until just cooked through, about 3-5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and allow to slightly cool.
- Add beans, tomato, onion, cucumber, and cilantro. Whisk remaining 2 Tbsp oil, lime juice, and crushed red pepper in a bowl. Pour over salad, toss to combine.
- Fold in avocados. Season with additional salt and pepper. (I added a lot more salt and a little more lime juice for flavor
- Serve immediately or cover and store in fridge.
What is your favorite main dish salads? Link it up if you wish.