It is that time of the month again, to reveal our Secret Recipe Club recipe (maybe I should reword that opening statement!) . I decided to go with her Crockpot Split Pea Soup Recipe.
Crockpot Split Pea Soup
I am a sucker for Split Pea soup and it seems that no two recipes I have come across are the same. When I saw Grandma Loy’s Split Pea Soup recipe I thought of my own Grandmother who used to make this for us as well.
I improvised a little bit as I just dumped everything into the Crockpot in the am, emulsified the soup with a blender about 2 hours before serving and let it stay in the crockpot until we were all home for dinner
- Split Pea Soup from Woman's Day
- 1 lb. split peas, green or yellow (2 1/4 c.)
- 5 c. water
- 1 can, 14 oz. chicken broth or 2 c. water and 1 T. instant chicken bouillon or soup base
- 1 lg. onion, chopped
- 2 med. carrots, chopped
- 2 lg. cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 t. thyme leaves, crushed
- 1/2 t. pepper
- 3/4 t. salt, I omit if using the instant bouillon
- Pour peas into pie tin or other flat surface to check that there are no rocks or other foreign objects in with the peas. Put the peas in a 4-qt. pot. Add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 90 minutes or until peas are soft. Stir occasionally. Makes 6 servings.
- (Close to Home's crock pot recipe: Just dump all ingredients into the crock pot. Cook on low for 7-8 hours. Emulsify with a hand blender and then continue to heat until serving.) I stirred it every so often at the end as it started to get thick in crock pot.
Check out my other SPLIT PEA SOUP RECIPE handed down from my Grandmother, and uses a ham hock.