May is National Strawberry Month and thanks to the folks at Driscoll we are celebrating with one of my favorite flavor combinations, Strawberry and Rhubarb. We eat strawberries whenever we can find them fresh in the markets, but May they seem to explode.
When we also love to pick our own strawberries to support local farms. Since our season has not started yet, we look for Driscoll organic strawberries. Mix them together with some seasonal rhubarb you will be begging for more.
I have never made an upside down cake recipe before so this was a first. I am sure it can be improved next time around but with the sweetness of the rhubarb and strawberry who even noticed.
Cut up your strawberry and rhubarb and mix in a bowl with flour and let it sit while you make the batter.
The batter is quite easy as well. No mixer is needed for this recipe.
Place the fruit at the bottom of your 9 inch pan with the melted butter.
Top with brown sugar and then the batter.
Cook until a toothpick comes out clean.
Allow it to cool for a few hours before attempting to flip the strawberry upside down cake over.
It took me a few attempts to get the whole cake out but here it is.
The strawberry and rhubarb flavors are accented by the baking process and creates a sweet topping for this cake.
Be sure to serve slightly warm or room temperature with a generous scoop of vanilla ice cream.
It’s like having fruit and cake for dessert.
What is your favorite Strawberry Recipe? Check out more Strawberry Rhubarb Recipes from our blog and others.
- 2 1 ⁄2 cups fresh rhubarb
- 2 cups fresh strawberries
- 1 ⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1 ⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 1 ⁄2 tablespoons flour
- 1 ⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1 ⁄2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 lemon, zested & juiced
- 2 ⁄3 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- . Toss rhubarb, strawberries & flour in a small bowl. Pour 1⁄4 cup melted butter into a 9" round pan. Top with brown sugar and strawberry/rhubarb mixture.
- . For the batter, combine melted butter & sugar. Stir in egg & 1 tablespoon lemon juice.
- . In a small bowl, combine flour, baking powder, lemon zest & a pinch of salt.
- Add flour mixture alternately with the milk to the butter mixture. Stir just until combined.
- Spread the batter over the fruit and bake 35-38 minutes or just until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven, let cool in the pan 15-20 minutes. Run a knife along the edge of the cake and invert onto a platter. Serve warm or at room temperature for best flavor
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 2118Total Fat 189gSaturated Fat 119gTrans Fat 7gUnsaturated Fat 56gCholesterol 526mgSodium 1701mgCarbohydrates 103gFiber 2gSugar 66gProtein 13g
All information and tools presented and written within this site are intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information on stayingclosetohome.com should only be used as a general guideline.