It’s March and that really makes me think of Spring. However, in the last two weeks my kids have been to school 3 days, due to snow. Yes it does not seem real does it? I am ready for spring weather and spring flavors and that is why I recently made the best Key Lime pie Recipe I could find. According to the source, this key lime pie recipe is truly authentic. I guess only if you lived in Florida do you know an authentic Key Lime Pie but it is a little more work than just condensed milk and lime juice.
Bring the sunny Florida flavor of a key lime pie into your house and hope for warmer days to come. I was not able to find key limes for this recipe so I went with bottled key lime juice. I know it came out of a bottle but I think it tasted amazing a lot easier than squeezing those little key limes.
I also made my own graham cracker crust. If you are going with authentic key lime pie, a store bought pie crust will not suffice.
It is really easy, especially if you buy graham cracker crumbs. Another short cut.
Dress up the crumbs with some sugar and cinnamon and mix in the butter.
Dump the damp graham cracker crumbs into a 9 inch pie plate.
Using the bottom of a metal measuring cup or glass spread out the crumbs evenly around the pie plate.
Bake for about 10 minutes.
To make the key lime pie filling, you will need to whip the egg whites until they have stiff peaks. (an extra step from many other key lime pie recipes I found)
Mix the rest of the ingredients and then gently fold in your egg whites. The result will be a lighter consistency than most recipes, which worried me at first.
Bake them until the middle of the pie is set.
I made these 3 days in advance. You are going to want the pies to cool in the fridge for at least 8 hours for the best flavor.
Serve them with a dollop of whipped cream.
Close your eyes and imagine the warm beaches of Florida.
It’s like Key West in your mouth, how wonderful
Best Key lime Pie recipe you will try.
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs from about 12 (2 1/4-inch by 4 3/4-inch) crackers
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 large egg whites
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup fresh or bottled Key lime juice
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- Arrange a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 350°F.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and cinnamon. Drizzle with the melted butter and stir until well combined. Press the mixture evenly onto the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch pie plate. Bake until set and golden brown, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Leave the oven on.
- In the bowl of stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, or a large mixing bowl with a whisk or hand mixer, beat the egg whites until they hold stiff peaks.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and sweetened condensed milk. Add the lime juice and whisk until combined. Gently fold in about 1/3 of the egg whites to lighten the mixture then add the remaining egg whites and fold until just evenly combined. Gently spread the mixture in the pre-baked crust and bake until just set in the center, about 20 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely then refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving. DO AHEAD: The pie can be baked and stored, covered, in the refrigerator, up to 3 days.