If you are a pet lover like we are, then you will love our packing tips and tricks for traveling with your dog! Do you plan on taking your dog on a road trip? Well, it takes more planning than remembering to bring their leash and some food. We take our dog, Chloe, just about everywhere we can but not without some research and planning.
5 Packing Tips For Traveling With Your Dog
This post contains affiliate links.
If this is your first travel experience with your dog, it is really important to take into account our packing tips for your pets safety and well-being. Not all animals are good with travel, so make sure to do a test run before taking a longer trip.
1. VISIT YOUR VET: Especially with a young pup, be sure to call your vet and make sure Ensure your dog is up-to-date for vaccinations. If you are taking a camping trip you may inquire about such threats as Lyme disease.
2. BOOK PET-FRIENDLY HOTELS: If your road trip requires an overnight stay, be sure to plan your road trip and find a pet-friendly hotel. Many hotels list their weight restrictions and fees on their website but it does not hurt to call first.
When doing this, follow one of my top packing tips – take extra potty pads for your dog. Even if your dog is “housebroken”, staying in a strange place can be a tough transition. Go prepared rather than paying a cleanup fee.
3. PACK YOUR DOG HIS OWN BAG: We pack Chloe her own bag with all the necessary items to keep her happy. Be sure to have this easily accessible when packing up the trunk. It is usually the last thing in our trunk so we can reach her food, leash, water easily during a pit stop.
- Food and food bowl
- Water, water bottle and bowl
- Toys for chewing and fetching
- Dog-safe insect repellent and sunscreen
- Blanket and dog towel
- Brush and shampoo
- Flea comb and tick remover
- Poop bags
Thanks to PETSMART for providing us with a promotional item for this post on 5 tips for planning a road trip with your dog. #NewPetPartner All opinions are 100% our own.