Although Strawberries are our of picking season, you may have some frozen waiting for something fun to make. Although you might need a lot of strawberries, you get to jam goes a long way. Learn how to make a simple but flavorful Easy Strawberry Jam Barefoot Contessa Style.
We have updated this photo since we made the recipe in 2010.
I quickly googled for strawberry jam recipes and most stated I needed pectin. I did not feel like making a trip to the market and then I found a Barefoot Contessa recipe, what a surprise, for Easy Strawberry Jam, that uses a half of an apple instead of powdered pectin.
How to make Barefoot Contessa’s Strawberry Jam
As you know we adore Ina Garten and love all her recipes especially her Peach Blueberry Crumble Recipe this time of year.
Easy, No pectin jam Recipe
How my Easy strawberry jam turned out?
What causes jam not to set?
- No Granny Smith Apple. I am not sure if it was the lack of granny smith, not sure if the actual apple matters
- Frozen Blueberries vs Fresh We used frozen blueberries instead of fresh wondering if they were too watery?
- Reduced Sugar Amount I also reduced the sugar by half per several suggestions on food network. My berries were also small and not incredibly sweet but tasted amazing so why ruin what nature intended
- Did not use Refined sugar . Tip, I did not have superfine sugar so I placed it in the food processor for a few seconds.
- Grated the apple With a grater blade on my food processor, I grated the half of apple to save time with chopping it plus it blended better in the jam.
As you can see we had many differences from the original recipe. We will be taking another go at this jam next time I go strawberry picking or find sweet berries at a great price.
My kids have used it so far for pb& j sandwiches as well as topping for french toast. I might try it again with other fruits this season and see if I get the same effect.