This post is sponsored by Wellness CORE but the content and opinions expressed here are my own.
Owning a dog means different things to different people. Some see it as protection as others view dog ownership as companionship. I wrote this post when my first dog passed away and never published it. Now that we are over a year into our second dog I thought I would share our thoughts on the benefits of owning a dog.
Benefits of Owning a Dog
Whoever uses the phrase “it’s just a dog” must 1, never have owned a dog, or 2, if they owned a dog never really had a connection. Since I was in my 20’s I wanted a golden retriever. I first ended up with a fish tank, then a cat, then a second cat. My husband was not a big animal person and we had to convince him to get a dog once my youngest was a Kindergartner.
We had the amazing experience of raising the most incredible, loyal and beautiful dog I have ever seen. Terans Cloister Island Getaway, aka Chloe. She passed away suddenly and unexpectedly at age 7 and there is an utter and complete whole in our hearts. I am not sure if I will ever stop crying but I wanted to share what you learn from owning a Golden Retriever.
- Loyalty is everything
- Love and you will be loved back
- Wag more, bark less
- Shoes are made to be moved and separated from their pair
- Always greet someone with a gift (toy, leash, shoe)
- Puppy eyes never go away, and they work when used correctly
- If you have a car, we have an adventure. Roll down the windows as it is the small things that make me happy
- All you need is love
- Take mealtimes seriously
- Always tell your loved ones that you love them, life is short
- Peanut Butter is the bomb
- Take a minute and smell the grass, stop sign, a pile of leaves
- Furballs are only temporary, and they vacuum up quickly.
- Rain, sleet or snow it is always a good time for a little fresh air and a walk
- I will eat just about anything I can reach…it’s all fair game at that point.
- Once you start petting me, you can’t stop and I will nudge you as a reminder I am there
- Dogs spend their entire life with you, give them everything you can as they have given everything to you.
Chloe traveled as far North as Maine, South to GA, West to Chicago, and East to the Atlantic Ocean. She came with us anywhere “Dogs” were allowed, although it was hard to convince her that she was a dog at all. She never met a stranger. The only time she barked was if someone passed our home with another dog she didn’t know.
To her she would put the breaks on for delivery trucks, UPS, and FedEx trucks were treat dispensers.
Now we have Tippett, a male golden retriever that fills the hole in our hearts but brings joy into our home just the same.
Keeping up with a dog’s health and well-being is essential and finding dog food that meets the needs of a large breed is important. Put your dog on the path to improved joint health, better breath, more energy, and a shinier coat when you feed them Wellness CORE RawRev with Wholesome Grains.
Key Ingredients: Turkey, Chicken Livers & Flaxseed
Powered by Wholesome Grains
High Protein for lean muscle mass + muscle tone
Omega Fatty Acids for healthy skin and coat
Coated with probiotics for digestive health
Glucosamine and Chondroitin for joint support