When the most recent issue of All Recipes Magazine came out I was intrigued by the World’s Best Lasagna recipe that had featured. As I am Italian my Nonna and Aunt usually made lasagna for us but it was not that often. Whenever I have made Lasagna I never really used a recipe so what better time to make a huge pan of lasagna then during this crazy snow we have had.
When you look at this recipe it seem daunting with all the ingredients and preparation time. I decided not only to lighten up the recipe but also decided to make the Tomato Sauce in the crock pot in the am and then assemble the lasagna as the oven pre-heated.
This recipe makes a lot of sauce which is great for those of you who like to add more tomato sauce to their lasagna after it is cooked. You may even be able to freeze enough to make another quick pasta dish another night.
The hardest part of this best lasagna recipe is cooking the noodles. I usually make my lasagna using the no boil noodles and adding more sauce. This is really not a hard step but an additional step in my eyes.
Assemble the lasagna for immediate use or you can even cover the lasagna with wax paper then tin foil for the freezer. Next time I will make 2 small lasagna dishes out of this recipe as we had a lot left over. I will freeze on tin and cook the other for dinner.
I found it easiest to use an off set spatula to spread the ricotta mixture over the noodles.
It is also important to allow your lasagna to cool for better slicing. I know you smell the deliciousness but you will have a blob of food on your hands if you don’t.
Best Low Fat Lasagna Recipe You Can Find
- 1 lb sweet Italian Turkey Sausge
- 3/4 lb ground turkey
- 1/2 cup minced Onion
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 12 oz can tomato paste
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 6-8 tbsp fresh parsley Chopped
- 12 lasagna noodles
- 32 oz ricotta cheese made with skim milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 lb mozzerella Cheese sliced or shredded, skim milk if low fat
- 3/4 cup parmasen cheese grated
- To make sauce ahead: cook meats and onion and garlic in a pan with olive oil until browned and cooked thru. Place cooked meat In a crock pot. Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce, and water. Season with sugar, basil, Italian seasoning, 1 tablespoon salt, pepper, and 2 tablespoons parsley. Cook on low 6 hours or until ready to serve. ( or Cook in a dutch oven covered for 1 1/2 hours)
- When ready to assemble lasagna, Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook lasagna noodles in boiling water for 8 to 10 minutes. Drain noodles, and rinse with cold water. In a mixing bowl, combine ricotta cheese with eggs, remaining parsley, and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F To assemble, spread 1 1/2 cups of meat sauce in the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish. Arrange 6 noodles lengthwise over meat sauce. Spread with one half of the ricotta cheese mixture. Top with a third of mozzarella cheese slices. Spoon 1 1/2 cups meat sauce over mozzarella, and sprinkle with 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Repeat layers, and top with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. Cover with foil: to prevent sticking, either spray foil with cooking spray, or make sure the foil does not touch the cheese. ( I used non stick foil) You can also now freeze this for future use or put in fridge overnight for next day
- Bake lasagna in preheated oven for 25 minutes. Remove foil, and bake an additional 25 minutes. Cool for 15 minutes before serving. If you refrigerated this allow to get to room temperature before baking or defrost overnight.
You can also freeze any leftovers for future use. I like to cut it in individual serving pieces.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 400 Saturated Fat: 5g Cholesterol: 70mg Sodium: 1734mg Carbohydrates: 43g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 13g Protein: 31g