Who loves warm blueberry muffins in the morning? We have an easy blueberry muffin recipe you can make the night before and just bake in the morning.
The perfect food, the blueberry, is now in season and plentiful at your markets. Be sure to pick up a few extra pints at the lower summer prices. Blueberries freeze so easily and you can use them in so many recipes either fresh or frozen, just remember not to wash them before you freeze them.
Blueberry Muffins- Make ahead Muffin Batter recipe is perfect for the hectic morning. We recently picked 10 pounds of blueberries and I am slow-moving this week to get them frozen or used in a recipe.
Blueberry Muffin Recipe Make Ahead Muffin Batter
I was teaching a camp last week so mornings felt like the school year again. For this hectic morning, I wanted to treat my kids to some fresh blueberry muffins. However, I wanted to accomplish a lot before heading out.
Making muffins from scratch did not seem reasonable. Was it possible to make muffin batter ahead of time? Fortunately for me, we found this great recipe that will make having warm homemade muffins in the am, as easy as turning on the oven.
With the little energy I had one night, I made the simple batter.
Remember to save a little of the flour to mix in with your blueberries before adding them to the batter, it helps them stay within the batter and not fall to the bottom!!
Covered the batter bowl and placed it in the fridge. I also set the coffee maker…
HOW TO BAKE REFRIGERATED MUFFIN BATTER:
When it was time to wake up, I barely had to think about these muffins before getting my caffeine, I just had to set the oven to 350 degrees.
To make things even simpler, use a 1/2 cup ice cream scoop to put balls of batter into the muffin tins. This is a thick batter and it felt like I was scooping out ice cream. As you can see the better is very stiff and I was not sure it was going to work.
Took a moment to enjoy my first cup of coffee while feeding the dog, emptying the dishwasher, taking a shower, and getting ready to go to work. (As I thought, Measuring flour was not an option today)
20 minutes later, I have yummy moist blueberry muffins to share with my family. You don’t need to be a supermom to do this, just a little planning the night or up to a week before!!
This recipe only makes 12 muffins (I ended up with 14) so I made the entire batch that morning. But if you have a smaller household, make a few at a time.
Thanks to I love muffins.ca for sharing this recipe that I tweaked slightly. Next time I will make a double batch to use throughout the week.
This Blueberry Muffin Recipe- Make ahead Muffin Batter recipe is great if you have overnight guests!
Do you like lemon zest or orange zest in your blueberry muffin?
Other Blueberry Recipes you might love:
Blueberry Muffins- Make ahead Muffin Batter recipe
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sour cream or plain yogurt, we used plain greek
- 1 tsp lemon or orange zest, optional
- 1 1/2 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen 1 tbsp flour
- Raw, turbinado or coarse sugar, for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 375° F. and line muffin tins with paper liners.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, or in the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. (Make sure not to under-beat the butter and sugar. It should take 2 to 3 minutes of beating to make it light and fluffy.)
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl and beat in one egg at a time, making sure you beat each one in thoroughly. Add in the vanilla and sour cream or yogurt and mix well.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix just until the batter is smooth. Batter will be thick.
- Add 1 tbsp of flour to the berries and fold in the blueberries by hand.
- At this point you can either tightly cover the batter and refrigerate for up to one week (and bake as desired) or move right on to baking now.
- Scoop a heaping 1/4 cup of batter into each muffin cup and sprinkle generously with turbinado or coarse sugar.
- Bake for 18-24 minutes or until they’re golden brown and a toothpick or cake tester inserted into the centre of a muffin comes out clean. Allow to cool slightly before serving!
Nutrition InformationYield 14
Amount Per Serving Calories 175Saturated Fat 2gCholesterol 34mgSodium 132mgCarbohydrates 29gSugar 12gProtein 3g