As a follow up to What happened to my garden, I am now getting fully developed zucchini. Not sure what changed as I went out of town and came home to a very large one my husband picked while I was gone. Ever since our return we have had several growing at a time. Our weather has cooled off so that may have made a difference. You must try this Blueberry Zucchini Bread Recipe for it’s unique flavor combination.
So now what do you do with the extras. You can only eat sauteed zucchini every so often. Here a combination I really have never thought to put together but I had a large zucchini from the market (this was before my trip) and we were getting ready to go out of town. I googled Zucchini recipes and found one for Blueberry Zucchini bread. Also having a good supply of frozen blueberries I thought I would give it a try.
This You must try this Blueberry Zucchini Bread Recipe is a wonderful breakfast bread that tastes wonderful with a slather of cream cheese on top. I definitely think the addition of a crumb topping makes for a more decadent bread. I really have not come across a bread that tastes like zucchini as many of the other flavors easily mask the vegetable. Having young kids anyway I can hide a vegetable into a food I am all over it.
The recipe makes 2 large loaves or 4 mini loaves, so I froze the one we were not eating. I was a little worried about the crumb topping after it was defrosted but it was still delicious. I would recommend storing it in the fridge to maintain its freshness.
For another healthy and kid friendly way to use up the abundance of summer squash try Triple Chocolate Zucchini Bread.
Blueberry Zucchini Bread –Adapted from allrecipes.com
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup vegetable oil half oil and half applesauce
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups white sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2-3 cups shredded zucchini
- 3 cups all-purpose flour or substitute 1 cup of whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp of nutmeg
- 1 pint fresh blueberries
- 2/3 cup of flour
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar
- 1/2 cup of white sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1 stick of softened butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease 4 mini-loaf pans or 2 large loaf pans.
- In a large bowl, beat together the eggs, oil (applesauce) , vanilla, and sugars. Fold in the zucchini. Beat in the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and nutmeg, cinnamon. Gently fold in the blueberries. Transfer to the prepared loaf pans.
- Mix together crumb topping with hands and sprinkle over the loaves
- Bake 50 minutes for mini pans and 1 hr -1 hr 20mins for large loaves, or until a knife inserted in the center of a loaf comes out clean. Cool 20 minutes in pans, then turn out onto wire racks to cool completely.