This really is not a Christmas Breakfast Recipe, I just think the colors are perfect for a Christmas or Holiday Brunch. I have not made that many quiche recipes before, the only one that I had made a ton is the Chicken Enchilada Quiche Recipe. I think I found my new love. Like other quiche recipes they are really simple to make and have all the yumminess of a savory breakfast but filling dinner as well. Of course when I say easy, I use a pre made deep dish crust, no one is complaining for that time saver.
I adapted the original recipe I found, because 1, I only had a deep dish crust in the freezer and 2. I had roasted red peppers in the fridge which I think worked just as easy as fresh and I saved the time of cooking down the peppers.
This Christmas Breakfast Recipe does take a little prep, but you can even do that the day before but really it takes on minutes to wilt the spinach. I may even add some mushrooms next time around.
Once you have baked the crust slight, add the crumbled up feta. We love feta here, so I was quite generous with our sampling.
Sautee the spinach and heat up the peppers then layer those on as well.
Add the egg mixture and pop in the oven. I am sure you did not miss one Christmas present being opened yet.
Allow it to cool slightly or serve at room temperature. The lightening was bad by dinner time so I did not get a chance to take a picture of a slice but it was just as pretty inside.
This quiche recipe was a huge hit in our home and I will be making it again. Most likely doubling the recipe so I can have some leftover the next day for lunch. I hope you enjoy this as much as I did.
- 1/3- 1/2 cup sliced roasted red bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups packed fresh spinach leaves, trimmed and washed thoroughly (about 5 ounces)
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup heavy cream or milk or half and half
- 2/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Frozen deep dish pie crust
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Bake frozen pie shell in bottom third of oven until set and pale golden, about 7 minutes.
- While shell is baking, in a large skillet sauté bell pepper if using fresh in oil over moderately high heat, stirring, 1 minute. Add spinach and sauté, stirring, until wilted and tender, about 1 minute. Remove skillet from heat and season spinach mixture with salt and pepper. In a small bowl whisk together eggs and cream.
- Sprinkle feta over bottom of shell and arrange spinach mixture on top. Pour cream mixture over spinach and bake quiche on a baking sheet in middle of oven 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350°F. and bake until set, about 10- 15 minutes.