Lent has begun, it is time to start thinking about meatless recipes. As a Catholic during the Lenten Season we are asked to abstain from meat on Fridays. Meatless Recipes for Lent.
While we are not a meat and potatoes family, but it can get pricey and boring to serve grilled fish every Friday to feed a family of 5. I was a vegetarian in my twenties but that was a lot different than feeding 5 people without an animal protein.
I thought I would share some of my favorite meatless or vegetarian recipes as well as some from other blogger friends to provide some vegetarian/meatless meal ideas for this Lenten Season. Really these recipes are great all year round as eating at least one meatless recipes meal a week will also help lower your grocery bills.
Which of these 30 Family Friendly Vegetarian Dinner Recipes will you try first?
30 Family Friendly Vegetarian Dinner Recipes for Lent
Macaroni and Cheese
What child will not eat macaroni and cheese and by nature it is meatless? I feel so much better when I make it from scratch so I can control the sodium as well as add some fiber by using whole wheat pasta on occasion.
I have made two different mac and cheese recipe versions , Emeril Lagasse’s and Mickey Mouse! Also a creamy shrimp mac and cheese recipe.
Pizza is always an easy way to serve up a meatless recipes meals.
Give your family a real treat with this Chicago Style Pizza Recipe. Just skip the pepperoni and sausage.
Our favorite meatless pasta recipes:
- Vanderbilt Wife shares Summer Bowtie Pasta Salad and a few Black Bean recipes.
- Zucchini Pasta Salad with Almonds from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Herb and Parmesan Roasted Vegetable Pasta. from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Hearty Veggies substitutes
- Melissa from I was Born to Cook made an Eggplant Stew with Polenta she nick names a “meaty stew.
- Eggplant Pizza Recipe
- Pan Roasted Vegetables
Tofu-it may take getting used to but a great source of protein when cooking vegetarian recipes
- Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks recipe for Tofu with Garlic and Broccoli.
- Make your own Vegetarian Egg Rolls
BEANS-an easy substitute for meat
- Over at Peanut Butter and Peppers, Jennifer shares Black Bean and Butternut Squash Quinoa Tacos, Black Bean Burgers and a unique Hummus recipe, Peanut Butter Hummus
- Hearty Minestrone Recipe
- The Pajama Chef shares Perfect Way for preparing Black Beans
- Loaded Vegetable Minestrone Soup and Lentil Tacos from Shockingly Delicious
- Easy Shrimp with Cannellini beans
Pie and Egg Vegetarian Recipes
Curry is a flavorful way to flavor up your vegetarian entree.
- At Our Eating Habits, Jamie makes a Butter Chickpea Curry that uses an interesting ingredient.
- Lick the Spoon shares her Curry Veggie Burgers.
What are some of your favorite VEGETARIAN recipes to share for Lent?