We had to update this post from 2013 because the photos were so bad. This time around we found Velvetta slices and large elbow macaroni at our grocery store. No matter how long ago we last cruised, Mickey’s Mac and Cheese is still my kids favorite.
My kids don’t crave macaroni and cheese all that much, but whatever they put in the Mac and Cheese on the Disney Cruise was addictive and not only for the children in the group. One night my mom did not like her entree and she ordered a bowl of mac and cheese. Be sure to also check out the amazing upgrades on the Disney Cruise Line.
Don’t worry they did not touch this Mickeys Mac and Cheese Recipe. My son gobbled it up again. Disney Park Hopper Tickets: Buy 4 Days & get 5th Day Free!
How to Make Mickey’s Mac and Cheese
We are talking about stop your heart cheesy. But OH SO good. If you are on a diet, don’t bother going on a cruise, it is a waste of money. Food is half the fun.
A LOT OF CHEESE
Both my sister and I separately went on a mission to try to replicate the Mickey Mac and Cheese our children devoured on the Disney cruise. My sister made the Velveeta box recipe and I did a little more Internet searching and found one that sounded like the description from our waiters.
After making it, I have declared this a once a year treat. I just hate using processed cheese in quantities like this. The kids thought it was pretty close even though the noodles were different.
If you prefer the quick method to making Mac and cheese, check out our Instant Pot Mac and Cheese Recipe. I bet you can convert this to an Instant pot recipe.
So if you want to treat your kids and adults to a decadent mac and cheese for Valentine’s Day, they will surely love you more after you put this on the table! On the Disney Cruise, they use the longer Elbow Macoroni which is not found in all grocery stores.
Mickey’s Mac and Cheese Recipe adapted from the Disney Diner
Time to book another Disney Cruise and get the real stuff!!
PIN THIS NEXT TIME YOU ARE CRAVING Mickey’s Mac and Cheese -A Disney Cruise Recipe
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 10 slices orange American cheese
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 3 cups large elbow macaroni
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, grated (not authentic to cruise)
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- In a large saucepan, melt butter on medium. Add flour and cook 5 minutes, stirring constantly until it forms a roux. Heat milk in microwave just until hot then slowly whisk it into the roux. Simmer 10 minutes until thickened, stirring constantly. Add sliced cheese and yellow mustard. Blend well until cheese has melted. Do not boil. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a separate pot, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain well and rinse under cold water. Mix cooked pasta with cheese sauce, stirring well to coat. Pour into a casserole baking dish and sprinkle top with remaining grated cheddar cheese. Broil in oven until cheese melts and top is lightly browned. ( Next time we won't put cheese on top and broil, just add a little more cheese to mixture)
- SERVE WARM!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 547 Saturated Fat: 20g Cholesterol: 102mg Sodium: 1017mg Carbohydrates: 35g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 5g Protein: 23g