There are a few more weeks left of lent which for our family it means we usually have a fish dinner on Friday. For Christmas, I received Ina Garten‘s newest cookbook, Make it Ahead, and was not totally enamored by the recipes.
Until I saw the one for Herb-Roasted Fish recipe which you make adorable parchment packets. You can prepare the adorable single-serve packages up to a day ahead and just bring them out when the oven is preheated.
Not only was that a bonus, this was an amazing make ahead fish dinner that I will be adding to my entertaining menu as well. I am now going to take a second look at this cookbook as well.
Who does not love the idea of being served their own special parchment filled with a lemony fish filet that looks to beautiful to eat? It also makes cleanup a breeze.
The most important thing about serving fish and having people enjoy it is to get the freshest fish you can afford. If the fish that is listed on a recipe is super expensive or not in the case, be sure to ask the fishmonger to suggest an alternative.
Make-ahead Herb Roasted Fish Recipe
I am not sure where to start but don’t wait for company to serve this dish, if your family eats fish, it is a keeper. Not a fish fan, check out these 15 Best Make Ahead Dinners
HOW TO MAKE PARCHMENT PACKETS FOR COOKING
- Cut all your parchment paper cut to the proper size before starting.
- Set up a station to make the parchment fish packets.
- Ask your Fishmonger to cut my fish into the proper serving sizes to make life easier.
The rest could not be simpler, just add your filet, cover it with all the yumminess.
Fold up your parchment carefully be sure to tightly secure all the edges.
I baked mine on a cookie sheet just in case.
Now you have a healthy and light make ahead fish dinner to serve.
WHAT TO SERVE ON THE SIDE OF THESE HERB ROASTED FISH PACKETS?
I roasted some veggies while I had the oven on. If you know your veggies need more than 15 minutes, put them in first.
Serve each parchment on a plate and dinner is served.
Other Make Ahead Dinner Recipes you might like:
Make Ahead Fish Dinner Recipe
- EACH SERVING REQUIRES
- 8 ounces boneless fish fillet, such as snapper or cod
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon good olive oil
- 1 large sprig fresh thyme--a must
- 2 Ceregnola or other large green olives with pits
- large egg--beaten
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Place the fish fillet on a piece of parchment paper 11x13 and sprinkle it with the salt and pepper. Drizzle the lemon juice and olive oil over the top of the fillet. Lay the thyme on top and place the olives next to the fillet.
- Beat the egg together with 1 tablespoon of water for an egg wash. Brush the egg wash around the edge of the parchment paper and fold it in half.
- Carefully fold the edge of the parchment paper under and around the fish to make a package.
- Place the package on a sheet pan and cook for 12 to 15 minutes, until the fish is cooked through.
- Cut an X on the parchment. Serve hot in the parchment paper.
roast some veggies at the same time as the fish for a complete and easy meal
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 213 Total Fat 6g Saturated Fat 1g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 4g Cholesterol 145mg Sodium 417mg Carbohydrates 0g Net Carbohydrates 0g Fiber 0g Sugar 0g Sugar Alcohols 0g Protein 37g