I have not had to make a meal for a family with a new baby in a while. I remember after each child how wonderful it was to have dinner taken care of by friends as the end of the day I was extremely tired. For the entrée I made my go to, Chicken Enchilada Quiche Recipe,which I hope people like because I keep making it. Also it is an easy enough recipe to make 2 so I can feed my family as well. For dessert this time, I found the excuse to try this Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie Bars Recipe.
I named it Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie squares because it is similar to the Peanut Butter Pie my daughter made recently. I was a little nervous it was not going to come out nicely, but after several hours in the fridge you could easily cut out squares.
I get the portion size, but this family is big on desserts and we ate our serving of 10 in one dinner.
The dessert is rich but only in the peanut butter sense. Due to all the whipped cream it is light and would be good for a great make ahead dessert all year round.
You can start by crushing the Oreos in a bag but I felt the end result was probably too big of a crumb, I would recommend the food processor next time.
See this is a little too big for crumbs I think but it did not change the taste of the yummy dessert.
Next steps are really making the layers of flavor, starting with peanut butter layer. I used smooth peanut butter but I am sure it would be good with chunky as well. Not sure how good this would be with all natural peanut butter
Final Layer and of whipped cream. You can make homemade but this time I used low-fat Cool Whip.
Add a few more crushed up Oreos. Wouldn’t this be amazing with peanut butter Oreos?
See they came out pretty well and had good shape.
How would you change this recipe?
chocolate peanut butter squares Recipe
- 1 1/4 cups chocolate sandwich cream cookie crumbs, about 24 cookies
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 8-ounce package reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2/3 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 8-ounce container frozen nonfat whipped topping, thawed, divided
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 4-serving box instant chocolate fudge pudding and pie filling mix
- Crushed chocolate sandwich cream cookies, optional
- 1. In small bowl, mix together cookie crumbs and butter. Press into 13x9x2-inch dish; set aside.
- 2. In mixing bowl, beat cream cheese, peanut butter and confectioners’ sugar until smooth. Fold in 3/4 cup whipped topping. Carefully spread over crust.
- 3. In another large bowl, whisk together milk and pudding mix until creamy. Let stand 2 minutes until thickened. Fold in another 3/4 cup whipped topping into pudding.
- 4. Carefully spread pudding mixture over peanut butter layer. Top with remaining whipped topping, a thin layer. Sprinkle with crushed cookies, if desired. Cover and chill for at least 3 hours.
I made mine in 2 9 inch pans. Try with Peanut Butter Oreos too.
Nutrition InformationYield 12
Amount Per Serving Calories 2146 Saturated Fat 43g Cholesterol 95mg Sodium 1738mg Carbohydrates 251g Fiber 10g Sugar 181g Protein 41g